Re: [ga] Karl, Danny, George, JFC and the At Large domain name

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Karl, Danny, George, JFC and the At Large domain name
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 19:02:01 +0100

Elmar, let's take a look at the wording on ICANN's own blessed website:

If a GROUP you are involved with wants to influence decisions that shape the Internet, register as an "At-Large Structure" and participate in ICANN decisions critical to the Internet's end users. "At-Large Structure" registration is free, easy, and done via email. GROUPS interested participating in ICANN At-Large are encouraged to send an email to ... or get more information and an application.

Notice the fact that still, after all these years, ICANN does not want individual users to have membership individually as... individual users.

ICANN's version of At Large has been deliberately constructed to prevent membership of individuals as themselves.

A sham structure that purports to be for individuals but won't let individuals join.

For years, the ICANN At Large forums have been moribund... why?... because the membership of At Large has been controlled and limited. They could have had thousands and thousands of individuals joining up and participating. Remember how many got involved long ago when Karl got elected, and tens of thousands participated? But of course, ICANN found the idea of *individuals* and their *elected representatives* (aka=democracy) too challenging, so they fired the At Large directors - who were elected by individuals... and since then the idea of individual membership has been rejected by ICANN.

I neither wish to disdain Mr Williams (who has nothing to do with my post to this mailing list) nor do I accept or accommodate your defence of ICANN's At Large.

Let ICANN allow individual membership to individuals (without having to be vetted and filtered through groups) and then I'll just *start* to believe in ICANN's intents. After that, allow those individuals to be represented, democratically, and - given that individual users are the greatest constituency numerically on the internet - grant them half the seats on the Board (also aka=democracy) and perhaps I can start to take the ICANN 'spin' seriously.

Best wishes, but I can't see how you can credibly defend ICANN's history of keeping out individual users.

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elmar Knipp" <Elmar.Knipp@xxxxxxxx>