RE: [ga] Domain Tasting is Dead

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Domain Tasting is Dead
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 04:33:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

--- Dominik Filipp <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> volume there are no actual reasons for being such. The proposed
> measures
> have not been approved by the board yet and are therefore not being
> applied in practice.

It looks like I spoke too soon, as one registrar registered 73,741
domains today:

http://www.dailychanges.com/detail/?ns=COMNAMESERVICE.COM&date=2008-07-23&net=73676&changes=73741&act=n

The board did approve the measures in Paris, see:

http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-26jun08.htm

"Resolved (2008.06.26.06), the Board adopts the GNSO policy
recommendation on domain tasting, and directs staff to implement the
policy following appropriate comment and notice periods on the
implementation documents."

There must be a few days left before the fees go into effect, and
someone is milking every last "free" name. Most others appear to have
seen the writing on the wall and moved on, though.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/