[ga] [Fwd: [At-Large] URGENT: Statement on Domain Name Front Running]

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, DOC/NTIA ICANN Rep <aheineman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] [Fwd: [At-Large] URGENT: Statement on Domain Name Front Running]
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:25:17 -0700

All,

  Indeed a sad day for many users as well as registrants.  On the
good side however, there is still a outside chance that Domain
Name tasting in all it's ugly forms, will actually be eliminated if
and when the RAA contracts are amended to ban such a practice
and hold Registries and Registrars duly accountable in the most
stringent manner as I have outlined for our INEGroup members
review and resolution body recommended.

  In the interim, for hosting companies and other Domain Name
supporting companies and organizations whom desire to have more
specific and effective methods of dealing with Domain Name Tasting
the Tasters themselves, the Registries and Registrars that are harboring

this likely fraudulent practice, we will be providing said effective
methods
and means by which those users and/or registrants can take control for
themselves in order to protect them from being duped into such a
demonstrably disagreeable if not fraudulent practice accordingly.  We
at INEGroup are currently finalizing testing these technical means and
methods and currently are in the quality control phase of same.

  It is safe for me to say from what I have tested myself, that some
if not most of these technical user based means and methods will
have a significant effect of the overall financial impact on Registries
and Registrars as well as some commercial web sites commerce
revenue.  I would conservatively estimate that impact will be in the
billions of US$ and Euro's accordingly.