RE: [ga] Matthew Hooker from Los Angeles ICANN meeting

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Matthew Hooker from Los Angeles ICANN meeting
  • From: "Michael Collins" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:07:04 -0500

Hi All,

Ted, thank you for this excellent opportunity to introduce myself. I am
Executive Director of ICA and am a long-time subscriber to this list, but
have not posted before. I am glad that Ted brought up his membership in
Internet Commerce Association.

I agree with Roberto, ICANN should not preemptively screen speakers and
require them to substantiate their claims of representing a community.
Establishing credibility is the responsibility of the speaker. I think that
everyone in the audience quickly realized that Mr. Hooker didn't grasp the
subject of the meeting and then it was correct to ask him to stop wasting
everyone's time.

The important part of this discussion is the effective representation of our
members and registrants in general at ICANN. ICA has applied to the
Commercial and Business Users Constituency. Since we represent only domain
owners that register domains for commercial use, we should be able to
represent our members through this constituency. We have not yet received a
reply to our application. However, at least one member of our association
who is a known advocate and voice for domainers and who should qualify
according to the BC charter posted at http://bizconst.org/ was refused
membership without explanation. I hope that ICA is accepted into the BC and
we don't have to ask questions about how to assure our members a voice at
ICANN.

ICA welcomes a change to the constituency structure that creates an
individual registrant's constituency. Hopefully, representation in such a
constituency would come without the high price tag of the BC. I am sure that
there are many individuals for whom membership in ICA or the BC is too
costly. We should not be blocking them from policy input.

Thank you for enduring a long introductory post. I look forward to being a
part of constructive dialog in the future.

Best regards,

Michael Collins

Internet Commerce <http://www.internetcommerce.org/>  Association

InternetCommerce.org