RE: [ga] ICANN Board can intervene to stop domain tasting for 1 year

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'George Kirikos'" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Dominik Filipp'" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ICANN Domain name tasting'" <domain-tasting-2008@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] ICANN Board can intervene to stop domain tasting for 1 year
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:56:42 +0100

At 22:40 11/01/2008, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
I am sure everybody understands the economics.
PIR has eliminated the tasting with their non-refundable fee in the same way
airlines have eliminated the no-show with a fee that is non-refundable in
case of cancellation. So what?

Eventually we will have registry costs that will reflect reality, ICANN, WECANN or others being in chage.
- registering a name
- updating a name
- renting the name on a daily, weekly or monthly basis rather than on a yearly basis
- permitting competitive yearly, decade, century discounted rates.

Because, market takes time but eventually forces what is a stable business rule. No RFC says that domain names are to be paid on a yearly basis for the DNS to work properly.

jfc