Re: [ga] Fake comments

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Fake comments
  • From: kent@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:28:18 -0800

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 01:20:16PM -0800, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> I just received a request from ICANN to confirm a comment on one of
> their ongoing "forums".
>
> But I neither wrote nor submitted any such comment.
>
> In other words, there are comments being submitted under actual, but
> usurped, names.

ICANN receives on the order of 100000 bogus email messages per day.  As is
common with malware generated messages, many of these messages use spoofed
"From: " addresses.  Most of the bogus messages are dropped by ICANN's
anti-spam measures, but some do get through to the comment system.

> Obviously, I'm not going to confirm that posting.  (It would be nice if
> the confirmation message included the comment itself, otherwise we might
> not be able to differentiate between real and fake.)

Including the message itself would turn the comment system into a spam relay.

> Everyone of us should take extra care not to confirm a comment to ICANN
> unless we actually submitted the comment.

That's precisely the point of the confirmation step, of course.

Best Regards
Kent