RE: [ga] ICANN Board can intervene to stop domain tasting for 1 year

  • To: "'George Kirikos'" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Dominik Filipp'" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ICANN Domain name tasting'" <domain-tasting-2008@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] ICANN Board can intervene to stop domain tasting for 1 year
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:40:19 +0100

George Kirikos wrote:

> The economics of pizzas and domain names are entirely
> different. A pizza has labour, material and delivery costs
> that are far above 20 cents. A domain name is an electronic
> record in a database where the marginal costs are close to
> zero for the registry operator, far below 20 cents.

The point was not on economics, but on the fact that the expectation of
being able to cancel an economic transaction at zero cost is uncommon in the
real world. What is the marginal cost of cancelling a reservation in a hotel
or a flight? From the operational POV, not much different from the
cancellation of a domain name record. However, you have very strict rules
for cancellation of rooms and seats.

> PIR has essentially eliminated tasting in .org with their
> non-refundable fee. The same would happen in .com/net should
> ICANN move forward. It's simple economics, which the
> automated tasters understand, but it seems some folks don't.

I am sure everybody understands the economics.
PIR has eliminated the tasting with their non-refundable fee in the same way
airlines have eliminated the no-show with a fee that is non-refundable in
case of cancellation. So what?

Cheers,
Roberto