RE: [ga] NSI immediately registering domains that are searched on their site

  • To: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] NSI immediately registering domains that are searched on their site
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:58:42 -0500

Ted:

The way we understand it to work is that a customer checks for a domain
name at a reputable registrar that maintains complete confidentiality of
searched data.  The registrar pings various registries to see if the
name is available (i.e. ted-is-smart.com is available, as is
ted-is-smart.xxx and ted-is-smart.xx).  Certain registries (be it a gTLD
or ccTLD) sell that search data to Front Runners, which will taste
(typically in .com) the searched names that weren't registered.  I am
not aware of any provision in the registry contracts with ICANN that
this practice would violate.  Indeed, Section 3.1(f) of the .com
Registry Agreement -- among others -- arguably specifically permits it

(See
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/verisign/registry-agmt-com-01mar06.
htm).  Moreover, in the case of a ccTLD, ICANN requirements are
irrelevant.  Our understanding is based on more than speculation.

Thanks.

Jon

Network Solutions