[ga] Re: Rogue (Fraudulent) DNS Servers?

  • To: Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: Rogue (Fraudulent) DNS Servers?
  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:51:30 +0100

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 09:12:21AM +0000,
 Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 140 lines which said:

> I assume we will actually have to wait for the survey

Yes, because the IDG paper is mostly crap. Other reports from Dagon
were very good.

> Georgia Tech's and Google's researchers estimate that as many as 0.4
> percent, or 68,000, open-recursive DNS servers are behaving
> maliciously, returning false answers to DNS queries.

That's perfectly possible but since nobody interrogates them, it is
hardly a problem.

> Attackers would then change just one file in the Windows registry
> settings, telling the PC to go to the criminal's server for all DNS
> information.

So, the attack has *nothing* to do with DNS. If the attacker can
change MS-Windows (or any other OS) settings, he can do anything.

[The mention of a "file in the Windows registry" gives a good idea of
the seriousness of the paper.]