ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

Re: [dow3tf] TF3 - Best Practices Recommendations

  • To: Brian Darville <BDARVILLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow3tf] TF3 - Best Practices Recommendations
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:54:41 -0400
  • Cc: dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, roseman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 4/23/2004 1:53 PM Brian Darville noted that:

I am not going to be in a position to insert the citations between now and next week's call. If someone else would like to take this task on, that would be very helpful. Please volunteer to the list so that we will know who is handling that.

Statements 1, 6, 7, 8, 11 and 12 are verbatim reproductions of the IPC position statement. I am unable to find sources for any of the following statements. They do not occur in any of the constituency submissions and are not extracted from other policy documents or reports that I have been able to find. Perhaps you could provide us with the source document that you cut and pasted the excerpt from? It would be much easier to work with a Word document due to its redlining features. Alternatively, if any of the task force members recognize any of these statements as their own, it would be useful to identify this for the group.

2) A Best Practices document geared toward improving data verification on a global basis...

3) Automated verification processes should be employed for identifying suspect registrations...

4) Manual verification processes should be employed to identify domain name registrations that, on...

5) Where available automated address and contact databases should be consulted and used to check or...

9) Procedures should be considered for facilitating updates of or correction to Whois data including...

10) Once fully developed, ICANN should evaluate the pending IRIS protocol being developed by the...

13) ICANN staff should undertake a review of the current registrar contractual terms and draft any...

Also note that items 2, 4, 10 & 13 contain statements that are inaccurate or out of scope for consideration by this task force.

Of course, all of the Task Force members should feel free to submit additional concrete recommendations for improving data accuracy verification.

Yes, a wider view would be useful. Given this, I would like to respectfully request that we remove the IPC submission from consideration until the noted deficiencies have been corrected and instead use this slightly modified version of the Registrar Constituency submission as the basis for our discussions. I believe it provides a reasoned basis from which can explore the compromises necessary to move forward with a vote of the Task Force and achieve adoption by the GNSO Council.

--
1. ICANN should continue to develop its ongoing compliance plan to ensure that contracted parties are appropriately meeting their obligations under the various agreements.

Specific attention must be paid to;
a) the resources assigned to managing this plan;
b) the specific elements of compliance that the internet community is primarily concerned with;
c) development and implementation of a graduated scale of sanctions that can be applied against those who are not in compliance with their obligations or otherwise infringing the contracted rights under these agreements;
d) Measurement and reporting mechanisms that allow appropriate analysis of the effectiveness of this ongoing program with specific attention paid initially to existing compliance assistance mechanisms such as ICANN's online Whois data inaccuracy reporting tools ;
e) Continued outreach to and education of affected stakeholders to ensure that existing requirements and obligations are understood and met and that new requirements are captured and appropriately dealt with. This effort should ensure that ICANN advisories related to this issue are specifically brought to the attention of newly accredited Registrars and that resources be made available to the Registrar community to ensure that the impact and scope of these obligations are apparent and understood. Similar resources should be made available to new Registrants and brought to their attention via the registration agreement that all Registrants must agree to prior to the activation of their gTLD registration ;
f) Ongoing development and promotion of gTLD Registry, Registrar and Registrant best practices that foster the accuracy of the Registrant data contained in the Whois database

2. ICANN should not ratify any policy related to Whois data accuracy that alters the balance of rights and obligations found in current policy.

3. Specific examination of Registrar data collection and protection practices be undertaken by the GNSO Council (or another appropriate body) in order that the GNSO community has sufficient and appropriate appreciation of the policy implications of the various data protection regulations in effect in the various jurisdictions that Registrars operate.

-rwr

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org