ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow2tf]

RE: [dow2tf] Existence proof of tiered access

  • To: Milton Mueller <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow2tf] Existence proof of tiered access
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 23:48:57 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: <dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <metalitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, at 12:27 [=GMT-0400], Milton Mueller wrote:

> >[snip] proxy registration services are a
> >species of tiered access.  The recommendation of Task Force
> >2 was to learn more about how these work in practice, which
> >would tell us something about how costs are allocated under
> >these services (and also about how much demand there is for
> >them).
>
> No great mystery here. You pay $10 a year or so for
> the proxy registration in addition to the registration fees.
> Could be higher - it's a market price. If you want access to
> the information you should probably pay, too, in my opinion,
> but no, I don't know how that is handled. But it's not that hard
> to ask someone who is actually doing it.

The problem with those proxy registrations is, that they protect you
no further than any lawyer (I don't mean just "the law") asking the
proxy service provider to give up the details of the real registrant.
Read the service agreement of Enom for example. Any claim is enough to
give out the deatils. I am not blaming the proxy service provider.
They don't want to be sued. And thus their service is fairly limited.

Further, I do not think it is right that the registrant pays to
protect herself. This is the main issue. Let's answer that first:

Why on earth should the world be entitled to know who is the
registrant of schneiders.org? Personally I don't mind that everyone
can find this info. But I want it to be my choice. I even think it is
a good thing to let anyone see, who is behind my domain. Someone
may want to offer me an enormous amount of euros for it. Or warn me
that it infringes on a trademark. All good. But it is my choice.
Nobody has the right to know. That is the issue.

Please, tell me, why people have the right to know who is behind a
domain? I feel there is some sort of assumption with many that there
is. Why?