ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow2tf]

Re: [dow2tf] Tiered Access

  • To: <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow2tf] Tiered Access
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:59:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jordyn:
In line with Ruiz's comments, and with the positions of NCUC, ALAC and
registrars, I would
think your formulation needs to be modified as follows:

>>> "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 05/17/04 11:00 $)GD8E) >>>

>The task force believes that a system which provides
>different data sets to different users (also known >as "tiered access")
may serve as a useful mechanism
>to balance the privacy interests of registrants with

Replace with:

"The task force believes that a system that
differentiates between the methods used to access
less sensitive contact data and those used to
access more sensitive data may serve as a useful
mechanism to balance the privacy interests of registrants with..."

Why this specific change in wording?
Because tiered access as we understand it does
_not_ necessarily, and indeed _should_ not
distinguish, between types of "users." Instead, it
differentiates between the METHODs or CONDITIONS
of accessing the data

For non-sensitive data, access is public, anonymous,
unrestricted. For the second tier, access requires
verification of the requestor's identity, conformity
to a defined set of legitimate purposes, and
notification of the registrant.

All users should have to same rights, and be subject
t0 the same constraints and conditions, to move from
tier 1 to tier 2.

mm