ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow2tf]

[dow2tf] Re: revision re proxy services and e-mail forwarding

  • To: metalitz@xxxxxxxx, Jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [dow2tf] Re: revision re proxy services and e-mail forwarding
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 00:02:59 EDT
  • Sender: owner-dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As promised, I am commenting on the proxy materials that Steve sent around.
I hope others will do so as well.  As an initial question. Jordyn mentioned
today that Steve sent around something on local law.  If so, I have not received
it.  Could someone kindly send me a copy?  Thanks!

Overview:  I am a concerned that Steveâs summary jumps into a complex subject
at too high a level.  It does not basic definitions and descriptions of proxy
services, including the difference between a registrar and 3rd party proxy
service.  It would certainly help readers of our report to have some basic
background and definitions in the area.

It also not provide an overview of comments received to date.  I think it is
important for our report to include a summary of data gathered and comments
submitted to date.  We received several comments in the data gathering phase
regarding rights to anonymous speech in countries with large numbers of domain
name owners, and also concerns and recommendations for proxy services in
constituency statements.  In addition the Team 2 report was the first analysis of
proxy contracts that I know of, and its results should definitely be shared
(including, perhaps, as a preface for why we need more information).

I assume the drafter of the proxy section (?) will be working with the full
range of materials submitted to TF2 on proxy services.  If there is some
specific language you would like me to provide on the above points, please let me
know.

In addition, I have added a few additional questions (designated with a star)
to the ones Steve listed.  These are attached in a Word document.

Thanks, Kathy