ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow2tf]

Re: [dow2tf] Questions to registrars/constituencies

  • To: Steve Metalitz <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow2tf] Questions to registrars/constituencies
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:45:47 +0100
  • Cc: "'Jordyn A. Buchanan'" <jbuchanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 2DOW2tf <dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 2003-12-29 12:22:30 -0500, Steve Metalitz wrote:

> 1.	What mechanisms do you use to inform potential and existing
> registrants of the following:
>
> (a)	the purposes for which contact data is collected;
> (b)	the intended recipients or categories of recipients of contact data;
> (c)	which contact data are obligatory and which (if any) are voluntary;
> (d)	how registrants may access and seek to rectify their contact data.
>
> Please provide applicable URLs.
>
> 2.	What mechanisms do you use to obtain consent from registrants for
> use of their contact data?  Please provide applicable URLs.
>

> 3) If you offer registrations through channels other than your website,
> how do the mechanisms used to inform registrants of the use of their
> contact data, and to gain consent for that usage, differ from those used
> on the website?
>
> 4) What requirements, if any, do you make of your resellers in terms of
> informing registrants of the use of their contact data, and gaining
> consent for that usage?

Delete:

> 5) Do you provide registrants with any mechanisms to allow anonymous
> domain registrations, or to limit the amount of contact data made
> publicly available through Whois?

Add instead:

  Do you provide any mechanisms for anonymous domain registrations?
  If so, under what conditions, if any, is the registrant's
  anonymity lifted, or the anonymous registration canceled?

  Do you provide any mechanisms to limit the amount of contact data
  made publicly available through WHOIS?  If so, under what
  conditions is access -- if any -- to those data granted which are
  collected, but not made publicly available through WHOIS?

> 6) Describe any accommodations that you have made to comply with local
> laws pertaining to the collection or display of contact information.
> Please cite the specific laws.
>
> [I think Thomas was going to add a question as well.]
>

> Questions for other constituencies
> 1) For each existing data field within the Whois, please provide
> feedback to the task force regarding the following:
>    a) Use.  How do members of your constituency make use of the data?
>    b) Necessity.  Is it necessary that this information be made available
> to members of your constituency?  If so, why?
>    c) Concerns.  Describe any concenrs your constituency may have with
> making this information available.
>
> 2) If there are fields not presently available within Whois that would
> be of use to members of your constituency, please suggest what those
> fields may be.  For each suggestion, provide feedback regarding the
> following:
>    a) Use.  How would members of your constituency make use of the data?
>    b) Necessity.  Is it necessary that this information be made available
> to members of your constituency?  If so, why?
>
> 3) Please comment on any mechanisms that you are aware of to allow
> anonymous domain registrations, or to limit the amount of contact data
> made publicly available through Whois?

Add:

  Please also comment on the conditions under which the registrant's
  anonymity is lifted when these services are used.

--
Thomas Roessler  <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At-Large Advisory Committee: http://alac.info/