ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow2]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

[dow2] WHOIS Task Force 2 Comments

  • To: dow2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [dow2] WHOIS Task Force 2 Comments
  • From: Mike Lampson <lampson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:14:07 -0500
  • Sender: owner-dow2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To whom it may concern:

I do not believe that there should be any individual identity information
shown in the public Whois, port 43 or otherwise.  This would include e-mail
addresses and phone numbers.  For access to this information a "back door"
could be mandated to allow law-enforcement, inter-Registrar transfers, or
other legitimate users to acquire this information in a non-bulk fashion.

If this were to occur, ICANN or another non-government organization would
need to manage the access rights to this "back door".  It makes no sense for
a representative of a law-enforcement agency (for example) to contact 130
different Registrars to gain access to Whois information.

As for what appears to the public in Whois, I would like to see only the
technical information such as Creation Date, Expiration Date, Nameservers,
etc. along with the Name and Geographic location (City, Province and
Country) of the Registrant.  If the Registrant Name is an individual
person's name and not a business, government or non-profit, the name should
be obscured with some message such as "Registered for personal use".

Regards,

Mike Lampson
The Registry at Info Avenue, LLC
 http://www.iaregistry.com/
an ICANN-Accredited Registrar

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>