ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

RE: [dow1tf] Preliminary Report v. 5

  • To: <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <roseman@xxxxxxxxx>, <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow1tf] Preliminary Report v. 5
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:59:32 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Right. "phishing." There are many minor typos like that in the draft.
I've made a list of them. but
that can wait and can be corrected online.

To address the substantive issue re: phishing,
every single case of it I have seen involves an
email address with a phony domain name (e.g., "aol.com"). Thus, the idea
that whois
policy is going to solve that kind of fraud must taken with a boulder of
salt.

--MM

>>> Barbara Roseman <roseman@xxxxxxxxx> 05/24/04 18:40 $)GD6E) >>>
the term is "phishing". It involves setting up a phony but very
realistic
website in order to trick people into providing identity information,
such
as social security numbers, credit card account numbers, and passwords.
Ebay, Citibank, and other major online businesses have had considerable
problems with this type of scam. Often, phishing uses many exploits of
browsers to hide the true name of the domain so it's not easy for naive
users to tell that they are not at the official site.

-Barb

At 06:30 PM 5/24/2004 -0400, Neuman, Jeff wrote:
>All,
>
>I have just looked through the section added by Jeremy on Needs and
>Justifications of Whois information and propose changing that section
>state:
>
>"In statements collected by the Task Force from the previous Whois task
>forces as well as ICANN workshops and our recent survey, some groups
have
>indicated that unfettered access to accurate, up-to-date, and reliable
Whois
>data has become an important tool for a variety of Internet users.
>Consumers as well as consumer protection authorities frequently use
Whois to
>discover with whom they are dealing online.  The United States Federal
Trade