ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

[dow1tf] Sensitive v. Nonsensitive Data

  • To: "'dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1tf] Sensitive v. Nonsensitive Data
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:15:31 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

David Fares has suggested in the last call that we consider deferring the
question of sensitive vs. nonsensitive data to Task Force 2 and believed
that the work in TF 1 in this regard overlaps with that of TF2.

Milton has responded that "TF 2 is actually NOT about defining sensitive and
non-sensitive per se, but about which data elements should be COLLECTED and
which should not. TFI have discovered that their deliberations are clarified
significantly, by separating, for purposes of discussion, which of the
existing data elements will be publicly displayed and which will not. The
current report explains this well. The reason we MUST do it is because it
makes no sense to talk about how port 43 or other datamining restrictions
should be made unless we know what is publicly accessible. In general, it
will greatly advance the work of the GNSO Council if the TFs all come in
with relatively consistent ideas about what constitutes sensitive and
non-sensitive data. If we don't, then the whole debate will have to be had
once again at the Council level."
I think this is an important distinction that Milton has made, but I want to
hear input from the rest of the group.
Please supply our comments via e-mail.  I will have the next version out
this weekend.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy