ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

[dow1tf] Amendments to Preliminary Report #1

  • To: <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1tf] Amendments to Preliminary Report #1
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 11:07:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As we near completion we should make more use of the list.
Teleconferences are better for discussion, but email is better for
nailing down wordings.

I have gone more carefully through Jeff's draft and propose
the following change in the section entitled "Principles for
the use of Whois."

Existing language:
"Whois TF 1's goal was to strike a balance among concerns and needs of
the different stakeholders related to accuracy, reliability, access and
privacy issues and to ensure that whatever process we developed did not
prevent the free flow of information."

This language is a bit vague and potentially troublesome. There is no
way we can speak of "not preventing the free flow of information"
when the whole purpose of this task force is indeed to restrict
some parties' access to information. Besides, there are bad overtones
to this choice of words. In international treaties and policy, "free flow
of information" does not mean personal contact data but news,
scientific knowledge, opinion, culture and the like.

Here is my proposed new language. It is also cleaner grammatically:

"Whois TF 1's goal was to balance the concerns and needs of domain
name registrants, legitimate whois data users, registrars and registries.
We recognize the need to take into account issues of privacy and data
protection, data accuracy, registrant accountability, and system
burdens. We also recognized the need to ensure that whatever
process we developed must not prevent exchanges of information
needed to make the DNS as a technical system operate smoothly
and efficiently."

Hope this is acceptable to all.

--MM