ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

[dow1tf] Important Notes about Today's Call

  • To: "'dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1tf] Important Notes about Today's Call
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:38:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

Thanks for your participation.  I want to remind everyone that there is
another 2 calls scheduled for this Thursday.  The first is our Task Force
call at 11:00 am Eastern Time.  This is to continue our conversation today
on point 7 and 8 in the statement which you got earlier.  I will send a
revised one around as well.  The second call is a presentation on CRISP/IRIS
that was set up by Barbara and Glen that is at some point in the afternoon.
You should have all received invites for that.

Second, we will have our normal call next Tuesday, May 4th at the normal
time.  This is a critical call as we will be voting on the report as is
required by the bylaws.  We need to indicate where there is majority /
supermajority support.  If not supermajority, we will need to indicate areas
of disagreement.

Finally, today we discussed the layout of the Preliminary Report and handed
out some assignments.  Here they are:

1)  Introduction -- introduces the problem and history --Jeff Neuman

2)  Process we have followed to date -- Barbara Roseman

3)  Analysis Using Milestones set out in Terms of Reference
(http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/tor.shtml)

	a)  Milestone 1
		-- Collect Needs and Justification for Whois Information --
Jeremy Banks (from survey results and past workshop materials already on
mailing list);
		-- Registrar Needs and Justifications -- Paul Stahura
(Description of how Registrars use Whois and methods of access for transfers
etc.);
		-- Summary of W3C Accessibility Requirements -- David Maher

	b)  Milestone 2
		-- Review general approaches to preventing data mining --
Paul Stahura (with help from Wendy Seltzer on CAPTCHA)
		-- Conclusion:  These approaches are not enough to solve
data mining issues nor does it address privacy

	c)  Milestone 3
		-- This is the heart of the report and will include the
Statement points that we have been discussing.  We will continue discussion
on this on Thursday
		-- We also need to address the impact of each of the
recommendations on each of the constituencies (This may have to wait until
the Final Report)

4)  Constituency Statements

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Also, for those who are not
on this list, please volunteer for one or more of these section.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.
Loudoun Tech Center