ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

[dow1tf] Whois TF 1

  • To: "'bruce.tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <bruce.tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1tf] Whois TF 1
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:01:35 -0500
  • Cc: "'gnso.secretariet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso.secretariet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

Sorry about this late notice, but I am unable to attend the Council call
today.

That being said, here is my report on behalf of Whois Task Force 1.

To date, we have only received 7 or 8 responses to the questionnaire that e
sent out in February.  In addition, we have only received constituency
statements from three of the constituencies (ALAC, Noncommercial and IPC).
We do not have statements yet from the Registries, Registrars, Business or
ISP Constituencies and are not sure when these will come in. Many have cited
other activities (i.e., WSIS and Transfers) as reasons for not being able to
provide their statements.  That being said, each of the constituencies have
agreed to try and get their statements to us within a week or two.

Obviously, with the lack of responses to the questionnaire and the few
statements we have, coming up with Policy positions, much less a Preliminary
Report, has proven to be difficult.  I am afraid to say that having a
Preliminary Report by April 9, 2004 seems at this point rather remote.  On
the last call, we did have a very stimulating discussion on some proposed
policies and I am undertaking the task of committing those to writing, so we
have made, what I believe to be significant progress.

We have also come to the conclusion that many of our recommendations will be
worded in the hypothetical, since it relies on the output of Whois Task
Force 2 extensively.  For example, Task Force 1 has concluded that the more
sensitive data that is required to be collected for the Whois database, the
more strict restrictions to access we would recommend being in place.
Alternatively, TF 2 decided that the only elements to be displayed are what
we call "nonsensitive data" (i.e., domain name, ip address, registrar,
creation date, expiration date, perhaps a true technical contact), then
restrictions or limits on access to Whois information may be a lot less (if
at all).

In sum, we are making progress and we do have some preliminary
recommendations.  However, we do not have most of the constituency
statements, and have even less data from the surveys.  We are working
towards coming up with positions absent these important data points, but we
believe that drafting this report will take some more time.  Is it possible
to move the due date for the Preliminary Report out a few weeks.

Please let me know.  Thanks again and sorry that I will not be able to
attend the meeting.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.