ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

[dow1tf] Note about Blogs

  • To: "'dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1tf] Note about Blogs
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:10:41 -0500
  • Cc: "'gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

All,

I just wanted to send out a note about blogging activities related to this
task force.  Please do not take this the wrong way,  because the truth is
that I love reading blogs and I think they are incredibly valuable.
However, when making a post to a blog (which may get republished elsewhere),
can you please make sure that people know it is your opinion and not
necessarily the opinion of the task force.  For example, one person on this
task force posted a blog comment that stated that Task Force 1 was
"seriously discussing closing off port 43. . . "  This has been republished
in at least one place as "ICANN on Closing off Port 43."

The truth is you should be free to write what you want in your blogs
(especially if it helps you collect more information).  However, to the
extent possible, I personally believe that we should not imply what the task
force is or is not going to do, at least until after the task force has
truly discussed what it is going to do.  We are here to collect information
and make recommendations based on that data.  We have not yet truly begin
the collecting such data, so the truth is that there is the task force does
not even know yet what it is going to do or recommend.

Lets focus our efforts on collecting the data and save the conclusions for
later.

On that note, this is just a reminder that by the 23rd, we should be sending
in all of our ideas on "nonmarketing" groups to reach out to.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.