ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

Re: [dow1-2tf] Moving forward on recommendations 1 and 2

  • To: <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow1-2tf] Moving forward on recommendations 1 and 2
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:48:33 -0500
  • Cc: <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I could not attend the conference call but agree with Steve Metalitz
that the ombudsman route would be worth considering.

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/21/2005 3:45:26 PM

Hi Steve:

The Council actually discussed our progress on Tuesday and recommended

that we proceed in a manner somewhat similar to what you suggest.  I'll

try to review the notes and write up a summary today so that we can
discuss in some more detail on tomorrow's call.

Jordyn

On Feb 21, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Steven J. Metalitz IIPA wrote:

> As I recall, at the end of the last meeting it was decided that the
> co-chairs would circulate a proposal for an "option B" for having
> further discussion on the first recommendation (notice to and consent

> from registrant).  Having seen no proposal from the co-chairs I
assume
> we should move ahead with "regular order" (to the extent there is
> one!) under the PDP, i.e., prepare the recommendation for public
> comment.
>
>  Regarding the second recommendation (procedure for situations of
> alleged conflict between ICANN agreements and local law re Whois), we

> have been discussing two options:  moving ahead under the PDP
(seeking
> constituency statements on the recommendation), or continuing to wait

> until it becomes possible to schedule a meeting with the ICANN staff

> that have apparently expressed objections to the recommendation.  A
> third option has been brought to my attention, and I believe it is
> worth serious consideration:  asking the ICANN Ombudsman to
> intervene.  Our problem clearly seems to fall within the ombudsman's

> purview.  See Ombudsman Framework, at
> http://www.icann.org/ombudsman/ombudsman-framework-03dec04.htm ("The

> Ombudsman's function is to act as an Alternative Dispute Resolution
> (ADR) office for the ICANN community who may wish to lodge a
complaint
> about a staff or board decision, action or inaction. The purpose of
> the office is to ensure that the members of the ICANN community have

> been treated fairly. The Ombudsman will act as an impartial officer
> and will attempt to resolve complaints about unfair treatment by
ICANN