ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

[dow1-2tf] WHOIS TF 1/2 Open Call CRISP Transcription 12 January 2005

  • To: "12DOW" <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1-2tf] WHOIS TF 1/2 Open Call CRISP Transcription 12 January 2005
  • From: "GNSO SECRETARIAT" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:11:48 +0100
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To: dow1-2tf[at]gnso.icann.org]

Please find the transcription of the Whois task force 1 & 2 CRISP open call
held on January 12, 2005 at 11:00 EST 16:00 UTC.

I do apologise for the previous postings where the document was not attached
and then attached in a form that cannot be opened.

If you would like any changes made, please let me know. I have tried to
clean up the transcript, but may have overlooked some things.
The document will be posted on the GNSO website for reference:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/index.shtml

Thank you very much.
Kind regards,

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
<!--#set var="bartitle" value="WHOIS Task Forces 1 and 2 CRISP transcription"-->
<!--#set var="pagetitle" value="WHOIS Task Force 1 and 2 CRISP transcription"-->
<!--#set var="pagedate" value="12 January 2005" value=""-->
<!--#set var="bgcell" value="#ffffff"-->
<!--#include virtual="/header.shtml"-->
<!--#exec cmd="/usr/bin/perl /etc/gnso/menu.pl 'WHOIS Task Forces 1 and 2 CRISP
Transcription'"-->
Forces
  1 and 2 Teleconference <br>
  CRISP Presentation<br>
representatives:<br>
constituency:
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Neuman</font><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">-
constituency
  Users constituency - Marilyn Cade<br>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Steve Metalitz <br>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Niklas Lagergren,<br>
Constituency
  - Milton Mueller </font> <font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif"></font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Helvetica, sans-serif">
  At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) liaisons - Thomas Roessler<br>
Helvetica, sans-serif">Govenment
Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  <b>Visitors<br>
  </b>Bruce Beckwith<br>
  Phil Colebrook - gTLD Registries constituency - GNSO Council<br>
  Ken Stubbs - gTLD Registries constituency - GNSO Council<br>
  Tim Cole - Registrar Liaison ICANN<br>
  Chuck Gomes - Verisign<br>
  Maureen Cubbereley - GNSO Council Nominating Committee<br>
  Ryan Lehning<br>
  Tina Dam - gTLD Registries constituency Liaison ICANN<br>
  Tony Holmes - <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Internet Service and
  Connectivity Providers constituency - GNSO Council<br>
  Greg Ruth - <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Internet Service and
Connectivity
  Providers constituency - GNSO Counci</font><br>
  Hanan Has - Govenment Advisory Committee<br>
  Constituency - GNSO Council<br>
  Ed Lewis<br>
  Mickey Mouse<br>
  Marcus Heyder<br>
sans-serif">Tralliance</font><br>
  Rick Anderson - zip.ca</font></p>
href="http://gnso-audio.icann.org/WHOIS-20050112.tf12.mp3";>MP3
href="http://www.gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/sanz-whois-12jan05.pdf";>CRISP

  Coordinator All participants are on a listen-only mode. After the
presentation,
  we'll conduct a questions and answer session. Today's conference is being
recorded.
  If you have objections, you may disconnect at this time. I'll turn the
meeting
  over to Mr. Jeff Neuman</font></p>
  I want to welcome everyone to the WhoisTask Force One and Two conference on
  the CRISP working group and, more specifically, the IRISh protocol that has
  made it to RFC status. We'll wait a couple minutes to make sure everyone is
  one. We'll have a presentation by Andrew Newton, Leslie Daigle and Marcos
Sanz
  also helped put the presentation together. We'll follow with a question and
  answer period.</font></p>
  One or Two, we submitted to Andrew and Leslie a list of questions that the
task
  force came up with. It was merely meant as a guideline to let them know what
  types of topics we were interested in so they could prepare their
presentation.
  But my no means is it an exhaustive list of all the questions we had. I'm
sure
  there will be other questions from other people on the call. Is Andrew Newton
  on the call? Or Leslie Daigle?</font></p>
moment.</font></p>
call?</font></p>
the
  call yet, are you prepared to go through the presentation until they can
join?</font></p>
  well, so wait one minute and I'm sure they'll appear. If in one minute
they're
  not here, I'll start.</font></p>
  Okay, let's take that minute. We have about 22 people on the call right now.
  Marcos, did you want to just go into a bit about the CRISP working group and
  background? Do you have the presentation?</font></p>
  Yes, I have it. No problem, I'll start with that.</font></p>
founded
  this CRISP working group, more than two years by now. CRISP is an information
  service, and one of the main goals was, to be clear, what we wanted to
design.
  It had to be a solution for all the problems that currently infested the
nickname
  or Whois is very old, more than 20 years. By the time it was designed, the
standards
  of the IETF for protocols were not as high as today. So the protocol is very
  weak. There are no security considerations, no there are no international
considerations.
  This was identified as a problem &#133; had to be addressed and this is the
  reason the working group was created.</font></p>
  now, Marcos.</font></p>
  We were on but you couldn't hear us apparently.</font></p>
background
  of the group, if you'd continue on.</font></p>
  Sure. I'm going to go through the slide deck that was distributed, and you
guys
  can interrupt at any point and ask questions. The questions provided to us
are
  answered in the slide deck, just not in the same chronological order they
were
  at. You might want to be patient with that. But we'll answer all the
questions-interrupt
  at any time.</font></p>
  up is you do the presentation and then we'll take questions because there are
  25 or 30 people on the call.</font></p>
  Okay. Page two, the background slide, IETF chartered the CRISP working group
  in order to create a new protocol to replace the nickname Whois protocol. The
  CRISP working group first, instead of just trying to run off to
implementation
  of protocol, we actually a list of requirements that we thought protocol
should
  have. Then we had two candidates proposals submitted to the working group.
Then
  the group took consensus on which protocol we felt best met the requirements
  we set out.</font></p>
  selected as the protocol. There was a second based on LDEP called &#133; but
  the working group felt that IRIS &#133; candidate came down to ease of
implementation.
  IRIS is now a proposed IETF standard, RFC's 3981, 3982 and 3983.</font></p>
information
  access protocol that you can layer multiple registries on top on. The CRISP
  has worked on two registry types called D reg and A reg, D for domain and A
  for addresses. The D reg registry type handles thick and thin registries and
  domain registrars, and the A reg handles what's called the Number Resource
Registries,
  RIRs. I should not that, before CRISP came around, in the space, the RIRs and
  the domain registries and registrars are actually on completely divergent
tasks
  as far as Whois and how they were beginning to handle Who Is. Each set of
constituencies
  was placing different controls and things on top of the nick name Whois
protocol
  in order to meet certain requirements, and they were not compatible with each
  other. CRISP actually is in alignment to try to bring these two back into the
  same camp and allow one client to act as both sets of data.</font></p>
  IRIS outside of CRISP. There is E-reg, which is essentially an ENUM registry
  for IRIS, which is now a working group item of the ENUM working group within
  the IETF.</font></p>
beginning
  in IETF about emergency context resolutions. Essentially, that is how do you
  discover which emergency response center do you send emergency messages to,
  based on geographic location. IRIS is being set up as a proposed candidate
for
  that problem. There is other work going on the NGN space as well. In order to
  have a lot of convergent network technology coming together, they need meta
  data access protocols for that.</font></p>
IRIS?
  It's decentralized by design. It doesn't mean you can't do centralization. It
  actually takes decentralization into its core essence. This is done because
  the feedback we got when we went around asking people what they wanted and in
  the CRISP working group itself, the registrar is really, from what we heard,
  waned to keep the data in their own server, they didn't want to send it out
  to a centralized spot.</font></p>
  of the data because anytime you data being centralized, there are all sorts
  of accuracy issues that suddenly arise that you never had before. So with
decentralization,
  we actually have navigation built in, we try to use DNS hierarchies where
possible.
  The point of doing this is so you don't have to set up a well known server
which
  can be a single point of failure in the system, and typically a political hot
  button when you do that. It's also a request many people had.</font></p>
  and SRV pointing to their own servers. So when you do a query, you know that
  if I'm looking for something in dot-net, you go look up the NAPTR SRV records
  in the dot-net zone, it points to the dot-net IRIS server.</font></p>