ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

[dow1-2tf] Whois task force 1/2 draft minutes teleconf 4 January 2005

  • To: "12DOW" <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1-2tf] Whois task force 1/2 draft minutes teleconf 4 January 2005
  • From: "GNSO SECRETARIAT" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:34:31 +0100
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Task Force 1/2 Participants,

Please find the task force 1/2 draft minutes of the teleconference held on 4
January 2005 attached in htlm.

Thanks to the very complete notes taken by Barbara Roseman they have been
produced in a detailed version. If there is anything that you would like
changed, please let me know.

Thank you very much.
Kind regards

Glen

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
<!--#set var="bartitle" value="WHOIS Task Forces 1 and 2 teleconference"-->
<!--#set var="pagetitle" value="WHOIS Task Force 1 and 2 teleconference"-->
<!--#set var="pagedate" value="4 January 2005" value=""-->
<!--#set var="bgcell" value="#ffffff"-->
<!--#include virtual="/header.shtml"-->
<!--#exec cmd="/usr/bin/perl /etc/gnso/menu.pl 'WHOIS Task Force 1 and 2
teleconference'"-->
<h4 align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>WHOIS Task
Forces
  1 &amp; 2 <br>
  4 January, 2005 - Minutes</b></font></h4>
representatives:<br>
  gTLD Registries constituency: - Jeff</font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  gTLD Registries constituency - David Maher <br>
  Commercial and Business Users constituency - Marilyn Cade</font><b><font
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  Users constituency - David Fares</font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">
  - Tom Keller <br>
Stahura</font>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Steve Metalitz <br>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Niklas Lagergren,<br>
  <a
href="http://gnso-audio.icann.org/WHOIS-20041214-tf12.mp3";></a></font><font
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  (ALAC) liaisons - Thomas Roessler </font></p>
Helvetica, sans-serif">
Glen
  de Saint G&eacute;ry <br>
Jordyn
  Buchanan - Co-Chair - apologies<br>
Helvetica, sans-serif">Internet
  Service and Connectivity Providers constituency: - Antonio
  - apologies<br>
Tim
  Ruiz <br>
representative
  - Amadeu Abril l Abril</font> <font face="Arial, Helvetica,
Interests
  Constituency - Jeremy Banks</font><br>
  - Milton Mueller - apologies</font> <font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif"></font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  Non Commercial Users Constituency - Kathy Kleiman</font><font face="Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
Connectivity
  Providers constituency - Maggie Mansourkia</font><font face="Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif">
Helvetica, sans-serif">
Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  liaisons - Wendy Seltzer</font> <br>
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">MP3
  the CRISP working group in preparartion for the call on Wednesday, 12 January
  2005, at 11:00 am EST.<br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b> reported that he had sent an e-mail to ICANN staff, Paul
  Verhoef, John Jeffrey, Kurt Pritz, Dan Halloran, Tina dam, Tim Cole
requesting
  a call to discuss the <a
href="http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow1-2tf/msg00183.html";>email

  sent by staff</a> that was discussed on the last call, <a
href="http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/minutes-whoistf-21dec04.htm";>21
  December 2004</a>. The only response received was from Paul Verhoef stating
  that he was not available untill 6 January 2005, but no response was given as
  when would be good time to hold the discussion.<br>
  <b>Barbara Roseman</b> reported that she asked for senior staff to be on the
  present call.<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b> proposed that in the formal written request it should be
  stated that the task force considered a call with the staff a priority and
would
  work with staff to find another time if necessary, other than the regular
task
  force call time. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman </b>proposed sending a formal written request, including
Marilyn
  Cade's proposition, and adding that the discussion should take place as soon
  as possible. </font></p>
notice
  of the open call had gone out to Whois task force 1,2 &amp; 3, Council
members,
  the Constituency lists, the GAC. Quotes were being obtained from different
telephone
  providers who would also be able to provide a transcript of the call and
better
  services than the usual provider.</font><br>
  he had written up some questions that he thought were relevant, but invited
  other members to ask additional ones. First question: What's the status of
the
  protocol, if not officially a standard, what steps need to be taken? <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: Brief overview in layman's terms of what IRIS is,? Other
  questions, general questions: Have there been any registrars or registries/
  resellers that have committed to adopting the protocol? What do they have to
  do to adopt the protocol?<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: How does the protocol relate to the distribution of
models
  where there's a wholesaler model of resellers? <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: do all registries/registrars/resellers have to adopt the
  protocol for it to be effective? What if only some registrars or registries
  in a given TLD adopt it? What happens to the model, does it break down? <br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>:What does adoption of the protocol really mean, and fully
  implement it? <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: For example, it's one thing to adopt the IDN standard,
but
  then resolution capabilities have to be built. One thing to adopt a standard,
  what has to be built to support it from a software /hardware standpoint?<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: can we ask if there's any additional burden on the
processing
  times? Given that this presupposes multiple dipping into the data base
information
  to verify different elements of the information. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: For registry/registrar, will Registries have SLAs on
response
  time, what effect if any, will there be on processing response time?<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: When they do the overview, they'll probably tell us
this,
  as I understand IRIS, the flexibility in the standard is there to gather all
  the data and then decide which fields are displayed? <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: Who gets to decide what is displayed? Who has control
over
  what is displayed?<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: Not my question, I would have assumed that the GNSO
would
  come up with consistent policy on what's displayed, but what's the
granularity
  that the standard provides of what is displayed versus what is gathered? Is
  it element by element?<br>
  <b>Thomas Roessler</b>: You're both talking about something similar: Can a
query
  be limited to certain data fields, can a response be limited to certain data
  fields? Can you create sets of what can be displayed depending on the
requestor
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: IRIS looks for the information regardless of whether it
  comes f from a registry or a registrar. Provides a way to provide the data
behind
  the scene. For a thick registry does the IRIS protocol make any judgment
whose
  data is authoritative? Does it go to the registry or the registrar, and who
  determines that? This is most important in thick whois tlds. <br>
  <b>Thomas Roessler</b>: It should be apparent whether the data is a referral.
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: So the person getting the response knows where the data
  is coming from. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: Authenticating the requestor, or getting information
about
  the requestor, is there a way to identify who the requestor is? Does IRIS
support
  this, or is it silent on this, and can you implement IRIS to find out who the
  requestor is and determine if they fit an access profile? Is there a way for
  the whois provider to know who is doing the requesting? Or is IRIS extensible
  so you can add different fields at implementation?<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: What is the mechanism for operating different access
levels?
  Can you block access to the "reserve data" until this information is filled
  in? <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: the other question on top of that, lets say it is not
enough
  to fill in those fields and the whois provider needs to cross check that
against
  another data base of preauthenticated requestors will the protocol support
that?
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: So we should follow each of those, one scenario would be
  that the data is gathered but not validated, the other is the data is
gathered
  and validated<br>
  <b>Steve Metalitz</b>: another question about that authentication process ,
  whether that is that applicable to other functions besides whois data,? If
there
  is an authentication function to this that determines whether or not you have
  access to certain data can that authenitcation function be used for other
purposes
  as well, such as registration? <br>
  <b> Thomas Roessler</b>: We should pay a little attention to the difference
  between authorization and authenitcation. What we would have with the two
tiered
  approach is in the first place authorization, that would be mostly focused on
  authentication making sure that the information provided during the
authorization
  is information that comes from the sender. Not sure what way to go about
it,<br>
should
  go down both ways of authorizing access, some people argue that to prevent
data
  mining is to basically be sure that the certificate provided by the
requestor,
  some believe that only authorized or pre-authenticated should able to get the
  information. We should ask if IRIS will support either or both. <br>
  <b>Thomas Roessler</b>: What can be implemented with this specific protocol,
  when we are asking what kind of authorization models it supports, that might
  be independent from how to authenticate information submitted during the
authorization
  stage. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: We should be clear about whether we're asking about
authentication
  or authorization. In task force 1 they talked about the possibility of
anonymous
  access for law enforcement for example, so we should ask whether there's a
way
  to do that?<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: Is there support for a special class of access that is
  "anonymous access" For instance, for law enforcement<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: If you were in an environment where you were going to
gather
  the details of the person who asked for the data you would not want to
disclose
  those details, example, xxxx Child Protection Services.</font><font
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  <b>Thomas Roessler</b> : Concealing the identity of certain requestors from
  the registry/registrar? <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: is it possible to conceal the identity of certain
requestors
  from everyone or concealing it partial? <br>
  <b>Steve Metalitz</b>: Does the protocol address what record is
made/preserved
  for each transaction, and if so could the protocol support limiting the uses
  of those records? 2 Examples:<br>
  1. Know who has made what queries about whois data might be valuable
information
  for marketing purposes. Would there be a way to prevent that use?<br>
  2. Is a record created and is it preserved in a way that law enforcement
could
  <b>Paul Stahura</b>: Do you mean the record of who looked up the whois
information?
  <b>Steve Metalitz</b>: Yes, we discussed one model in which that record would
  exist and if there were some evidence of abuse then law enforcement or
somebody
  else could have access to that record under certain circumstances. One of the
  models discussed in tiered access was that the record would be created and
preserved
  and would be accessible under some circumstances. How would that fit into the
  <b>Paul Stahura</b>: The requestor looks up the information, does the
protocol
  provide a way to track what happens to that information ,like whether it is
  stored or given out, has it a certain life time and disappears after a while?
  Once the requestor looks up the data, can we track how its used? If there are
  restrictions on how to use the data, can we check up on that? <br>
  ask them, but probably the answer will be no, there is nothing built in
there<br>
  <b>Paul Stahura</b>: Is there something like the Time to Live of dns, then
the
  data has to be asked for again? Otherwise we are going to have requestors and
  no matter how much checking we do with the identity of people etc the
information
  will be able to be used over again.<br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: We can ask but feels that the answer will be that it is
  a policy determination<br>
  <b>Paul Stahura</b>:If we can up with a policy that it information could
remain
  for a day, does the protocol help us with the implementation of that
policy?<br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: Okay, we have about 18 questions now. If you have other
  questions, please send them around. I'll put up this list to the group,
please
  correct any of your questions that I might have misstated. We'll send these
  questions to the presenters on Thursday. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b>: I'll send a second request to Staff to get a date to
discuss
  their response to our recommendations on national privacy policy. Didn't get
  a response to the first request. <br>
  Constituency statements on <a
href="http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/whois-notification-30nov04.pdf";>recommendation

  1</a> due on 31 January 2005.<br>
  The <b>registrar constituency</b> reported that they could probably only
provide
  feedback that was not officially voted on by the constituency for that
date.<br>
notes,
  these minutes are so detailed.</font></b><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif"><br>
thanked
  everyone for their presence and participation and proposed sending the
questions
  to the CRISP .<br>
  Questions submitted by Jeff Neuman and revised by Steve Metalitz ( in italics
  )after the call.<br>
  QUESTIONS FOR CRISP WORKING GROUP <br>
  I. General Questions <br>
  A. Brief overview in laymen's terms of what IRIS is? <br>
  B. What is the status of the IRIS Protocol? <br>
  C. What steps still need to be taken to make it a standard? <br>
  D. What does it mean to adopt the standard and fully implement it? What needs
  to be built to support it from a software/hardware or otherwise standpoint?
  E. Have there been any registries / registrars that have committed to
adopting
  the protocol? <br>
  F. What are the obstacles/burdens on registries / registrars / resellers in
  incorporating the protocol into their systems? <br>
  G. Do all Registrars and all registries have to adopt the protocol in order
  for it to be effective (i.e., what would the result of some registries and
some
  registrars incorporating the IRIS protocol, but not others?).<br>
  H. What is the possible effect on response time for Whois queries? Would this
  affect a Registry's SLAs?<br>
  II. Specific Questions <br>
  A. Who has control over what is displayed for a particular TLD? In other
words,
  who defines which is the authoritative server for each TLD. For example, in
  this registries, it is clear that the registrar is the authoritative server,
  but for thick registries, does the IRIS protocol return query results from
the
  registry? <i><br>
  Are there other differences between the implementation of the protocol in
thick
  and thin registries?</i><br>
  B. Who is responsible for defining the level of access that is given to a
requestor
  of information? Is it the Whois Provider? <br>
  C. When there is a response returned, does the Requestor know where the
response
  came from (i.e., the registry or registrar that returned the response)? <i>Is
  &quot;referral data&quot; identified as such?</i><br>
  D. Are there ways in which IRIS would allow the Whois Provider to collect
information
  about the Requestor? <br>
  a. Does the protocol address what record is made and is stored for a
particular
  transaction?<br>
  i. In other words, does the protocol records where the request comes from,
what
  time the query was made, what response was given, etc.? <br>
  ii. If so, where is that records stored (i.e., who has access to that
record)?<br>
  iii. Who has access to that record and is there any limit on the use of that
  record? <br>
  b. Is IRIS extensible? In other words, can the party implementing the
protocol
  collect other fields of information from the Requestor (i.e., contact
information)
  so that the Whois Provider knows who is requesting the specific data? <br>
  c. Is there a mechanism that one could use to authenticate the data provided
  by the requestor,<i> or to consult a list of pre-approved</i>
<i>requestors,</i>
  before the requestor is given a response to its query? If so, what can be
done?
  d. If there is such a mechanism, would there be a way to create an exception
  to allow anonymous access for certain law enforcement agencies or other
exempted
  entities? <br>
  E. Is there anything in or through the protocol that is able to track or
limit
  the use made of the data retrieved? In other words, if the Requestor obtains
  information from its Whois search, is there a way to track what the Requestor
  does with that data or is there a way to have that data expire? <br>
  F. Is the authentication used in IRIS applicable to other things other than
  WHOIS? For example, can that same mechanism be used to authenticate domain
name
  registrants when they apply for a domain name?<br>
  </b></font></h1>