ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

Re: [dow1-2tf] FW: RFC 3981 on IRIS: The Internet Registry Information Service (IRIS)Core Protocol

On 2005-01-06 20:35:47 -0500, Jeff Neuman wrote:

> IRIS is officially an Internet Standard with RFC number 3981.

That's not the case.

IRIS has been published as a standards track RFC. This RFC is in the
entry-level "proposed standard" state, i.e., at the lowest maturity
level that a "standards track" protocol can have.  The next maturity
level will be "draft standard" (which requires two independent
interoperable implementations); only after further experience has
been gathered with the protocol, CRISP can become a formal Internet
standard.

Many proposed standards never make it to standard state.

See section 4.1 of <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt> for details
on the IETF standards process.

Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.