ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

[dow1-2tf] Cape Town follow-up

  • To: dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [dow1-2tf] Cape Town follow-up
  • From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:29:24 -0500
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all:

For those of you who were not present at Cape Town, here is a brief summary of the items arising out of the meeting. For those of you that were there, this summary includes action items so please read it.

1) Our first recommendation, on improving notice, was presented to the board during the (first ever) GNSO public forum. However, in order to be formally submitted to the council for general public comment, the recommendation must be submitted in the form of an initial report (certain requirements of which are specified in the bylaws). This will require feedback from constituencies; see below for more on that.

2) During our face-to-face meeting, Paul Verhoef of ICANN raised a concern that the staff might have issues implementing the recommendation. Because we were not sure what the impact of these issues might be, we elected not to present the council with these recommendations, but instead provided a general overview of our work on the procedure to reconcile conflicts with local/national privacy law and tiered access.

3) Jeff and I are hoping to receive feedback from ICANN on the potential impact of the procedure to resolve conflicts with local/national privacy law within a week, and anticipate issuing a call for constituency statements on both of our recommendations next week with a due date of January 14, 2005.

4) Also during our face to face meeting, we agreed that it would advance our tiered access work to request that task force members present concrete proposals for tiered access systems. I believe that Thomas Roessler has already presented one general framework in this regard, but various members have other proposals. These proposals would be presented in the form of short papers that would be presented in a call with opportunity for questions and discussion. I am going to initially request that all proposals be submitted to the task force by December 20 (two weeks from today) for discussion early in the New Year.

5) We will have our next call on December 14 in our usual time slot. Jeff and I will put together an agenda this week.

Jordyn