ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

RE: [dow1-2tf] Last Call on Final Draft of Issues 1 and 2

  • To: "'Neuman, Jeff'" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Milton Mueller'" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>, <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow1-2tf] Last Call on Final Draft of Issues 1 and 2
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:31:38 -0600
  • Cc: <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeff,

I'm an alternate Registrar rep to the Task Force. Tom and Paul are the
primary reps. Tom and Paul may have supported the drafts. I don't believe
that it can be said yet that the constituency supports the draft, or that it
doesn't. There has been no discussion of this joint Task Force's work within
the registrar's constituency that I'm aware of.

Step 3.iii
There should be no general rule. That item should simply end after the first
two sentences. I don't think we should attempt to define ICANN's mission
based on some consensus of what we think it should be, or confuse the issue
over what things like *stability*, *security*, and *global interoperability*
really mean.

At the very most the last sentence of Step 3.iii might say something like:

The General Counsel should consider the entirety of ICANN's mission when
formulating its recommendation. (But it seems to me that this goes without
saying.)

Step Four
The first part of the first sentence should be removed. It should simply
start with "The Board shall consider..." (There are no *principles* in Step
3 to refer to, except perhaps the last sentence of 3.iii and you have my
thoughts on that.)

I would also prefer a mandatory comment period prior to the ICANN Board
acting on the recommendation. That would make the process more open and
transparent. The decision will affect other registrars, registries, and
registrants. They should have an opportunity to comment prior to the
decision.

Tim