ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

RE: [dow1-2tf] More "limitations may not apply to you" language

  • To: "'KathrynKL@xxxxxxx'" <KathrynKL@xxxxxxx>, metalitz@xxxxxxxx, roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mcade@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [dow1-2tf] More "limitations may not apply to you" language
  • From: "Mansourkia, Magnolia" <Maggie.Mansourkia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:11:51 +0000
  • Cc: mueller@xxxxxxx, dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dmaher@xxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Again, it is a misconception that the ..." an EU citizen cannot consent to
exportation of his/her data to a country without equivalent privacy
protections or safeguards the government has agreed to." An EU citizen can
in fact consent to this and any entity that operates in more than one
country (even within the EU) has been going through the processes that allow
it to do this legally going on almost 10 years now.  The issue is what
consent entails.  I agree that a broad consent for information use is not
viable, but that is not what is being discussed here.  What we're looking at
is consent to a limited list of what the data will be used for, including
providing it through a directory for specific reasons, excluding marketing,
etc.