[council] Motion: Nomination of GNSO Candidates for SSR2-RT

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Motion: Nomination of GNSO Candidates for SSR2-RT
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:36:40 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Councilors –

Attached and copied below, please find a motion for Council consideration
during our next call on 19 JAN 2017, which presents our slate of candidates for
the Security & Stability Review Team (SSR2-RT).

As you may recall from our DEC 2016 call, we decided to convene a small group
comprised of myself, Heather, Donna, Susan and Ed.  This group was tasked to
evaluate submitted applications for our 3 Primary (guaranteed to be seated) and
4 Alternate (may be seated based on need & diversity) candidates, and bring
these recommendations back to the Council.  The attached motion presents our
findings.

Looking forward to discussing this during our next meeting.

Thank you,

J.

Nomination of GNSO Candidates for Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of
the DNS (SSR2) Review Team

Whereas,

1.       On 30 June 2016, ICANN launched a call for volunteers seeking
individuals interested in serving as a Volunteer Review Team Member on the
SSR2-RT (see https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2016-06-30-en).

2.       Under the new Bylaws, each SO/AC participating in the Specific Review
may nominate up to 7 members to the review team, for consideration by the SO/AC
leadership, for a review team of no more than 21 members.  Any SO/AC nominating
up to 3 individuals are entitled to have those nominees selected as members to
the review team, so long as the nominees meet the applicable criteria for
service on the team.

3.       The GNSO Council formed a small team to review the candidates that
requested GNSO endorsement (see
https://community.icann.org/x/xRqsAw<https://community.icann.org/x/xRqsAw)>)
taking into account the criteria outlined in the call for volunteers as well as
the desire to ensure a RT that is balanced for diversity and expertise. The
small team submitted its findings to the GNSO Council on [date].

4.       The GNSO Council considered the findings of the small team.

Resolved,

1.       The GNSO Council nominates (in alphabetical order): Denise Michel,
Eric Osterweil, James Gannon as its primary three candidates for the SSR2-RT,
noting that these candidates under the new ICANN Bylaws are entitled to be
selected. Furthermore, the GNSO nominates (in alphabetical order): Emily
Taylor, Howard Eland, Norm Ritchie, Scott McCormick to be considered for
inclusion in the SSR2-RT by the SO-AC Chairs should additional places be
available.

2.       Noting the lack of diversity (gender, geographic) of the applicants,
the GNSO Council encourages Staff to explore ways to encourage gender and
geographic diversity in applications for future review teams.

3.       The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to communicate
resolved #1 and #2 to the staff supporting the SSR2-RT.

4.       The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to inform the
applicants that have received endorsement that the GNSO Council expects that,
if selected for the SSR2-RT, the applicant will represent the views of the
entire GNSO community in their work on the SSR2-RT, and provide regular
feedback as a group on the discussions taking place in the SSR2-RT, as well as
the positions being taken by GNSO Review Team Members.

5.       The GNSO Council requests staff supporting the SSR2-RT and application
process to send a response to those applicants who did not receive endorsement
(if any), thanking them for their interest. The response should also encourage
them to follow the SSR2-RT work, and participate in Public Comments and
community discussions.