Re: [council] Preliminary planning for ICANN58

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Preliminary planning for ICANN58
  • From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 07:32:20 -0200
  • Cc: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 3:57 AM, James M. Bladel <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Councilors –
>
> As discussed in Hyderabad, the SO/ACs are pushing ICANN Staff to get an early
> start on planning for ICANN58, in an effort to avoid/mitigate some of the
> pain points experienced at ICANN57.
>
> To this end, Staff has prepared the attached document (PDF), outlining the
> timeline for finalizing the ICANN58 schedule, along with two draft “Block
> Schedules”: one with a single Constituency Day, the other with a split
> Constituency Day(s).  Finally, the PDF displays results and feedback gathered
> from the meeting survey.
>
> SO/AC leaders (including Donna, Heather and myself) are planning to meet with
> ICANN Meeting Staff in early December to discuss the Block Schedule.
> Questions for the GNSO Council:
>
> (1) Do we prefer a Single or Split Constituency Day?

Single Constituency Day.

> (2) What is the right number of High Interest Topics (HIT)?  The current
> Block Schedule drafts contain five HIT sessions.

1. If we can't pick just 1, 2 max... but I think it's easier to pick 1 than 2
to 5. Usually there is something that stands out.
For all other HIT slots: PDP WGs and IRTs from the 3 SOs.

(3) Any thoughts on the best way to solicit topics for HIT sessions, and how to
choose the top 5?

SO/AC Leadership.

> (4) Similarly, any thoughts on how to address the inevitable conflicts
> between working sessions and HITs?

Having less so-called HITs. Avoid conflicts with PDP WGs and IRTs.

> (5) Any other specific feedback you’d like us to bring to the SO/AC meeting

When in doubt, make meeting A more like meeting B than meeting C.

Rubens