Re: [council] Improvements to f2f GNSO meeting planning?

Dear Heather,

thanks for your initiative here! I agree that a high degree of transparency is
expected and that “somebody” has to take the driver seat in planning/organizing
these meetings.
It must be clear what we’re talking about:
  a.. meetings of the entire GNSO (like the incumbent weekend ones, public
council meeting) or
  b.. meetings of parts of the GNSO (e.g. between CSG and NCSG or – cross
community wise – ISPs and SSAC) or
  c.. agendas of those meetings or
  d.. alltogether
I personally think we should just discuss the meetings and agendas of the
entire GNSO resp. council. Planning/organization of meetings on SG/C-level
should be left under their responsibility. What should the council here talk
about? Rationale and ranking?
In addition, I’m not convinced that the output of a “meetings team” would be
better than what we have at present. Even the coordination of the 2 VCs may be
a challenge (during my term we rotated between the VCs). I saw and still see
this job having an administrative character, and I’m very much in favor of
putting this load to the VCs. The decision or – less formal – confirmation of
the meeting types and agendas is up to the council on the basis of interaction
with the resp. communities.

In practice:
  a.. start early – immediately after an ICANN meeting
  maybe a first planning frame could be shared at the first council meeting
after to solicit council input
  since the attendance of people with otherwise full agendas is needed for the
various topics (e.g. Board, ICANN leaders...), nail them (and their
secretariats) early – friendly but definitely
  a.. the council should be aware at which council calls decisions re the
meetings have to be taken; and the council members should trigger their resp.
communities
If you miss a rationale for the VCs being charged with the (administrative)
task, I’m sure the SCI replacement would be happy to fix this in the GNSO
procedures .

Looking forward to the next council call

Wolf-Ulrich