[council] FW: [Soac-infoalert] Tracking gTLD Marketplace Health - ICANN

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] FW: [Soac-infoalert] Tracking gTLD Marketplace Health - ICANN
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:46:40 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Council Colleagues, FYI.  Blog Post from Cyrus Namazi (GDD) on the beta  gTLD
Marketplace Health Index.

Thanks-

J.

From:
<soac-infoalert-bounces@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:soac-infoalert-bounces@xxxxxxxxx>> on
behalf of David Olive <david.olive@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:david.olive@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 2:58
To: "soac-infoalert@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:soac-infoalert@xxxxxxxxx>"
<soac-infoalert@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:soac-infoalert@xxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: Cyrus Namazi <cyrus.namazi@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cyrus.namazi@xxxxxxxxx>>

https://www.icann.org/news/blog/tracking-gtld-marketplace-health

ICANN Blog
Author: Cyrus Namazi

Tracking gTLD Marketplace Health

Today, ICANN published the gTLD Marketplace Health Index (Beta), which presents
statistics and trends related to generic top-level domains (gTLDs). ICANN
intends to publish these statistics biannually to track progress against its
goal of supporting the evolution of the domain name marketplace.

The initial set of metrics was divided into three categories:

    Robust competition - geographic representation of gTLD registrars and gTLD
registry operators, trends in competition among gTLD registrars and gTLD
registry operators, expansion in second-level domains (legacy gTLDs, new gTLDs,
internationalized gTLDs)
    Marketplace stability - accreditation and disaccreditation of gTLD
registrars
    Trust - gTLD registrar terminations, WHOIS accuracy rates, and UDRP and URS
complaints

View the Health Index [PDF, 2.37 MB].
Public Comment Period

The gTLD Marketplace Health Index (Beta) includes gTLD data collected by ICANN.
There are many other potential sources of data to consider as ICANN and the
community work together to develop additional metrics. To this end, we've
opened a public comment period on the health index and a set of proposed
discussion topics regarding additional metrics is included in the report. I
hope that these materials will spark continued community collaboration on the
initiative and shape abstract discussions into a more concrete, implementable
set of concepts. The deadline for comment is 6 September 2016.

Comment Now.
Why Create a Marketplace Health Index?

ICANN's Strategic Plan, covering fiscal years 2016-2020, charges the Global
Domains Division with supporting the evolution of the domain name marketplace
to be robust, stable and trusted. We've been consulting with the community for
about one year to determine how best to achieve this goal. These consultations
led us to create an initial set of metrics for a domain name marketplace health
index. ICANN then enlisted Hemant Bhargava, a professor at the University of
California-Davis Graduate School of Management, to review the proposed metrics
and overall approach from an academic perspective. Read Dr. Bhargava's report
[PDF, 351 KB].
Get Involved!

We need your feedback! The index will be much more valuable if we build upon
this beta version with a more comprehensive set of metrics for the gTLD
Marketplace Health Index 1.0.

If you're interested in this topic, I encourage you to join the gTLD
Marketplace Health Index Advisory Panel, a group of community volunteers
convened earlier this year to collaborate with ICANN on the design of the
health index. To join, visit
https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/gtldmarketplace and subscribe to the
Advisory Panel email list.

Following the close of the public comment period, ICANN will begin holding
regular meetings with the gTLD Marketplace Health Index Advisory Panel. Our
goal will be to finalize a list of additional, refined metrics during this
calendar year so that the required data can be collected, analyzed and ready to
publish in the gTLD Marketplace Health Index 1.0 in early 2017.