RE: [council] Proposed letter to the Drafting Team

As I think I understand from reviewing the thread, the current text now reads
as follows:

                Dear Bylaws Drafting Team:

The GNSO Council thanks you for your efforts in attempting to distill the
instructions found in the CCWG-Accountability Report into a revised version of
ICANN's Bylaws.  We note that the draft Bylaws have generated significant
public comment from members of the GNSO community.

We ask you to carefully review each of these comments and give them serious
consideration.  It is important that the revised Bylaws remain faithful to the
CCWG-Accountability Report on which we, as a Council, were called upon to vote
in Marrakech.  We are fully at your disposal should you wish to consult us on
any issue raised in the comments generated by the GNSO community.

Kind regards,
James Bladel

If that's the case, then I have no serious objection to sending it, although I
do have some misgivings.

It doesn't convey much beyond asking the Board to take their job seriously (and
should we have to ask that in the first place?), and that we're available for
consultation. But we (in terms of the Council as a whole) are not really
available to explain the views files by the various SGs and Cs, as each of them
emphasized different points - so maybe the letter should say that we are sure
each of the separate groups making up the GNSO are available to further explain
their POV.

The real misgiving, now that we know when the Board has scheduled its vote (and
the outcome is preordained, I think we'd all agree) is that, by saying nothing
further, we concede by implication that a vote six days after the closing of
the comment period constitutes serious consideration by the Board.

At the least I think we should ask that they take steps, through consultation
with their own lawyers and those advising the CCWG and CWG, to assure that that
none of the comments has identified a draft Bylaws provision that materially
deviates from the final reports and recommendations - and that if they have,
that the deviation has been cured.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal