[council] RE: Draft Letter to the Board on Red Cross Names & Identifiers

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] RE: Draft Letter to the Board on Red Cross Names & Identifiers
  • From: Phil Corwin <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 19:04:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good letter, James.

This point is particularly important:
One point emphasized during this briefing was that the international legal
basis for protections of Red Cross identifiers is significantly different from
that for IGOs. This raises the possibility that permanent protection for these
Red Cross identifiers could potentially be resolved independently from other
IGO acronyms.

The IGO CRP WG has recently received a final draft of the memo from our outside
legal expert in regard to the scope of sovereign immunity for IGOs. Without
getting into extensive detail, it varies widely based upon both the type of
IGO,  the jurisdiction in which the question is raised, and whether the
activity in question implicates a core function of the IGO. Therefore, the
issue of the Red Cross identifiers should be viewed as significantly different
from that of other IGOs.

Best regards, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC