Re: [council] Fwd: Proposed Agenda for the GNSO Council Meeting 12 May 2016 at 12:00 UTC.

  • To: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk@xxxxxx>, GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Fwd: Proposed Agenda for the GNSO Council Meeting 12 May 2016 at 12:00 UTC.
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 18:24:14 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Rubens, can you provide more details about the issue with the Red Cross
identifiers list? We have been working with the Red Cross on implementation for
the list of identifiers that are currently subject to interim protections (via
Board resolution), so as far as I know, and in regard to that list, we are
continuing to fix issues that were noted - basically, these had to do with
converting of text to the appropriate DNS labels (including length) and
ensuring that the organizational names are accurate in the appropriate
languages.

I will be happy to provide the Council with further details about this.
However, if you are concerned about a different issue, I’ll be happy to enquire
on the Council’s behalf as well.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director
Email: mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx
Telephone: +1-603-5744889

On 5/6/16, 02:15, "owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Rubens Kuhl"
<owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of rubensk@xxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Crescent Societies Names
>>>
>>> https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/packages/reserved-names/ReservedNames.xml
>>>
>>> the string:
>>> общество
>>> xn--90aci8adqh7c
>>>
>>> One of the meanings is a generic term for 'society' in russian language
>>> (also 'public' in it's broad meaning … like entire society).
>>>
>>> And it would be seen like a cybersquatting from the Red Cross with the help
>>> of powerful lobby (the situation which was most feared by IPC) and most
>>> probably, will hit news.
>>>
>>> The reasons to believe it was typo mistake and that there are two strings
>>> (mentioned later in 4.)  fell
>>> out of the protection due to this mistake:
>>>
>>> 1. The website of the http://www.redcrescent.uz/indexe.html
>>> Red Crescent Society of Uzbekistan
>>> in English
>>> or
>>> Ўзбекистон Қизил Ярим Ой жамияти
>>> in Uzbek
>>> or
>>> Общество Красного Полумесяца Узбекистана
>>> in Russian
>>>

>>> has reference to full name with 'society' in all 3 languages:
>>> (also in documents, laws under which it was established in 1992)
>>>
>>> 2. string
>>> окпу
>>> xn--j1aheq
>>> is an abbreviation of Общество Красного Полумесяца Узбекистана
>>> with first letter о for Общество (Society in Russian)
>>>
>>> 3. If we look at the strings from Tadzhikistan Red Cross Society
>>> we can see еру pattern:
>>> (2 strings in Russian, Russian abbreviation, 2 strings in Tadzhikistan
>>> language)
>>>
>>> So we could come to the conclusion that Uzbekistan Red Cross Society might
>>> have wanted the set of strings
>>> designed the same way.
>>>
>>> 4. Thus we come to the conclusion that
>>> during the preparation of the document,
>>> 'enter' was pressed on the keyboard in the wrong place and
>>> the first word from
>>> общество-красного-полумесяца-узбекистана
>>> &
>>> обществокрасногополумесяцаузбекистана
>>> became a separate string
>>> and as a result we see
>>> 3 wrong strings and missed 2 actual strings meant for protection
>>> (also we avoid cybersquatting scandal with involvement of Red Cross)
>>>
>>> proposed changes
>>> ======
>>> Strings a1,a2,a3 from bellow
>>> Should be replaced with strings b1,b2. Strings a1,a2,a3 should be released
>>> from the obligatory reserved list.
>>>
>>> a1.
>>> общество    xn--90aci8adqh7c
>>> a2.
>>> красного-полумесяца-узбекистана
>>> xn-----6kcbbafmtduoqjiqnnfbbvqzkh1aqf1g5n
>>> a3.
>>> красногополумесяцаузбекистана
>>> xn--80aaaadkocqmohhomlfbatpxjgzpe6f0n
>>>
>>> should be replaced with
>>> b1.
>>> общество-красного-полумесяца-узбекистана
>>> and