Re: [council] Open action item - SCI Review of Council Voting Threshholds

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Open action item - SCI Review of Council Voting Threshholds
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:08:09 +0200
  • Cc: WUKnoben <wolf-ulrich.knoben@xxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I honestly don’t recall this topic being associated with the Spec. 13 issue. I
may be wrong, of course. I can’t recall the details right now. For my part, I
believed (and still do) that the Council made a bad decision on Spec. 13, but
am not sure how a different voting threshold would have changed the outcome. I
must be missing something. Maybe Mary or Julie can help with this, but did the
idea to review the voting thresholds originate from a discussion on the
Council, or did the SCI itself recommend that the voting thresholds be reviewed?

In any case, since cross-community working groups are relatively new and
becoming more and more common, it may be worthwhile considering adding voting
thresholds specific to CCWG recommendations to the operating procedures.
However, I believe the Council itself needs to agree to this before deferring
the details to the SCI. To me, a simple majority to adopt recommendations with
the gravity of those produced by the CWG-stewardship and CCWG-ACCT isn’t a very
comforting thought. I believe the Council should require more agreement than a
simple majority to adopt recommendations such as these.

Thanks.

Amr