[council] Item 7: Council Vote: Updated GNSO Review of the GAC's Marrakech Communique

  • To: "GNSO Council List (council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Item 7: Council Vote: Updated GNSO Review of the GAC's Marrakech Communique
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 21:57:46 +0000
  • Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Councillors,

With regard to:
Item 7: COUNCIL VOTE – Approval of GNSO Input to the ICANN Board on the GAC’s
Marrakech Communique

Please find the updated version of the GNSO Review of the GAC Communique
http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/review-gac-communique-11mar16-en.pdf

The small team that drafted the proposed GNSO Council review of the Marrakech
GAC Communique had the following notes and questions that are not reflected in
the publicly-posted document, but that we include here to facilitate the
Council’s discussion of these points (please note that in some cases we have
paraphrased some of the comments to clarify their context):

Under “Future gTLD Rounds: Public Policy Issues”:

  *   Are there any other reviews not referenced by the GAC that we should note?
  *   Other than approving PDPs, how else can the GNSO ensure that policy is
not created after the reviews are completed?
  *   Is the suggestion to prioritize logical sequencing something that the
GNSO should take the lead on? The RySG and RrSG have raised this issue with the
Board on a number of occasions. Bruce Tonkin is of the view that there are two
efforts that need to be complete before the launch of any new gTLDs: the CCT
Review and the Subsequent Procedures PDP.
Under “Privacy and Proxy Services”:

  *   The first sentence was suggested by Steve Metalitz, one of the co-chairs
of the PPSAI WG. He and Graeme Bunton reached out to the GAC’s Public Safety WG
in Marrakech and discussed the matter with them there. The second sentence was
added subsequently by the small team.
Thank you very much.
Kind regards,

Glen