[council] CCWG report / public comment / webinars

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] CCWG report / public comment / webinars
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 07:17:21 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,
I am pleased to let you know that the first CCWG report on the current status
of our work has been published for public comment.

As mentioned during previous briefings to the Council, it is most important you
communicate this to your respective groups and beyond to encourage feedback.

The report does not contain consensus recommendations and for some questions it
offers alternative suggestions while indicating which options got most traction
in the group so far. Please do make sure you review and let us know whether we
are heading in the right direction as we continue to refine our recommendations.

In order to be as inclusive as possible, we have developed an engagement plan
which includes webinars. You find links to those webinars further down in this
e-mail. Also, we have worked on graphics that shall facilitate understanding
our recommendations. These can be found here:
https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Draft+Report
<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Draft+Report>

Please make sure you take a look at them in addition to going through the
report. They are fun to read!
The report also includes a punchy executive summary for readers that do not
want to dive into details of what we did.

Thank you for your continued attention to this important subject.

Kind regards,
Thomas Rickert

Thomas Rickert, Attorney at Law
Director Names & Numbers

-------------------------------------
eco - Verband der deutschen Internetwirtschaft e.V.

Lichtstraße 43h
50825 Köln

Fon:    +49 (0) 221 - 70 00 48 - 0
Fax:    +49 (0) 221 - 70 00 48 - 111
E-Mail: thomas.rickert@xxxxxx
Web:    http://www.eco.de

eco - Verband der deutschen Internetwirtschaft e.V.
Geschäftsführer: Harald A. Summa
Vorstand: Prof. Michael Rotert (Vorsitzender), Oliver Süme (stv.
Vorsitzender), Klaus Landefeld, Thomas von Bülow, Felix Höger
Vereinsregister: Amtsgericht Köln, VR 14478
Sitz des Vereins: Köln

>  <http://www.icann.org/>News Alert
>
> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2015-05-04-en
> <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2015-05-04-en>
> Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability
> (CCWG-Accountability) - Input Needed on its Proposed Accountability
> Enhancements (Work Stream 1)
>
> Forum Announcement:   Comment Period Opens on Date:   4 May 2015
> Categories/Tags:
> Transparency/Accountability
> Reviews/Improvements
> IANA Stewardship Transition
> Purpose (Brief):
> The CCWG-Accountability requests community feedback on the proposed
> enhancements to ICANN's accountability framework it has identified as
> essential to happen or be committed to before the IANA Stewardship Transition
> takes place (Work Stream 1). Your input will help the CCWG-Accountability to
> improve its proposal and carry on with next steps, including Chartering
> Organizations' endorsement of the CCWG-Accountability output before it is
> submitted to the ICANN Board. This comment period is an opportunity for you
> to make your voice heard and to shape the outcome of the CCWG-Accountability
> work.
>
> In order to have time to analyze and process community feedback before
> ICANN53 (21-25 June), and considering the key dependencies Work Stream 1 has
> with the work related to the IANA Stewardship Transition, the
> CCWG-Accountability determined that the maximum time that could be allotted
> to this comment period is 30 days. The CCWG-Accountability Work Stream 1
> proposals are not final: a second Public Comment period is planned for July,
> and will be a full 40-day period. Because this (first) Public Comment period
> is less than the required 40-day minimum, it has been approved by two ICANN
> Global Leaders.
>
> Public Comment Box Link:
> https://www.icann.org/public-comments/ccwg-accountability-draft-proposal-2015-05-04-en
>
> <https://www.icann.org/public-comments/ccwg-accountability-draft-proposal-2015-05-04-en>

https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en>

WEBINAR: Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability
(CCWG-Accountability): Presentation on the Draft Report for Public Comment
 <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en#>
The Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability was
established to initiate a related process to the IANA Stewardship Transition
process to ensure that ICANN's accountability and transparency commitments to
the global Internet community are maintained and enhanced in the absence of its
historical contractual relationship with the U.S. Government.

This report for public comment represents the current work product of the
CCWG-Accountability. It is focused on draft Work Stream 1 recommendations (Work
Stream 1 is the CCWG-Accountability's work on changes to ICANN's accountability
arrangements which must be in place, or committed to, prior to the IANA
Stewardship transition), which were the focus of the first five months of work
(from December 2014 until May 2015). These recommendations are not presented as
the consensus of the CCWG-Accountability at this point. The CCWG-Accountability
is seeking confirmation of its approach and guidance upon several options.

The CCWG-Accountability will hold two identical webinars at different times to
facilitate participation across time zones. The webinars will take place on:

11 May from 11:00 – 12:30 UTC (time zone converter here
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=CCWG-Accountability+Webinar&iso=20150511T11&p1=1440&ah=1&am=30>)
11 May from 19:00 – 20:30 UTC (time zone converter here
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=CCWG-Accountability+Webinar&iso=20150511T19&p1=1440&ah=1&am=30>)