Re: [council] Nominating Committee Draft Input

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Nominating Committee Draft Input
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 17:26:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Avri.   Good thoughts.

How do you (and others) recommend we proceed?  I realize that voting is a
non-starter on WGs when testing for consensus, but is it a requirement for
actions or statements from the Council?

Sincerely curious---

J.

From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx<mailto:avri@xxxxxxx>>
Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 at 0:13
To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Hi,

I am in somewhat of a quandary on this.  I am not bothered by the Nomcom
proposal.

- i do not think it hampers diversity.  And while I understand that the
representation of business was lowered, the representation of non commercials
was not lowered and thus I object to indicating that the proposal does so. The
current representation of business on the nomcom is disproportionate at this
point and I support eliminating this double representation of big and little
business; this historical double representation of the business constituency is
not something I can support. I strongly support bringing Nomcom support for the
GNSO into line with the SG model.

- i support equal footing in representation of the various SG, as well as SOAC

- I so not see a problem with the representational model

But my SG may indeed be more in agreement with what is written than me, I
believe they may support the continued exclusion of the GAC as well.

The only thing that bothers me about the proposal is that they set out to make
the Nomcom smaller and they instead made it bigger.

I am uncomfortable at this point with calling the opinion unanimous, and
though I expect it has consensus we should wait to see if that is indeed the
case.

avri