From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Edward Morris
Sent: Saturday, 1 November 2014 6:02 PM
To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [council] FW: NomCom appointee skill sets

Hello Susan.

- At the end of the day consumer protection, insuring that the domain name
system is safe and secure, should be one of our highest priorities.

I agree with you that consumer protection is a justifiable and proper rationale
for the creation and extension of intellectual monopoly rights and has been
deemed so in Anglo-American jurisprudence, at least, since the Bakers Marking
Law of 1266. We may on occasion disagree with the structure and scope of such
rights but I'm delighted there seems to be some practical agreement on the
purpose of the rights themselves.

-We could restructure the list

International law which includes the following:
     Data protection
     Privacy
     Consumer rights
     Human rights
     Competition law
     Intellectual property law

I think this is a fine and practical proposal that I support.

Thanks so much for your contribution.

Regards,

Ed