[council] Update on implementation of Board-adopted recommendations on IGO-INGO identifiers

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Update on implementation of Board-adopted recommendations on IGO-INGO identifiers
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 21:14:10 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear all,

You will recall that in adopting the original IGO-INGO PDP Working Group¹s
consensus recommendations in November 2013, the Council also directed that
an Implementation Review Team be formed. Since the Board¹s 30 April 2014
adoption of some of those consensus recommendations (viz. those that are not
inconsistent with GAC advice received), policy staff has been coordinating
with our colleagues in the Global Domains Division on the timing and
initiation of the implementation process. Han Chuan Lee from GDD will be
leading the implementation effort, and we have briefed him on the background
to what you¹ll also recall was a complex PDP that resulted in multiple
recommendations.

As Implementation Review Teams are normally drawn from participants who have
been members of the original WG that developed the recommendations, we have
so far held off on issuing the Call for Volunteers, pending the Council¹s
resolution of the NGPC¹s request to consider amending the remaining IGO-INGO
consensus recommendations. Since a Council decision to propose any
amendments would mean reconvening the original WG, we are conscious of the
possible bandwidth issue that might arise were the Call for Volunteers to
the IRT be issued at the same time.

We therefore plan to issue the Call for Volunteers after the Council¹s
decision on the NGPC request ­ either shortly thereafter if no further
action is taken, or toward the close of the period that a reconvened WG will
be given to respond to the Council. In the meantime, Han Chuan and his team
are continuing to work on getting up to speed with the various
recommendations and the status quo regarding interim protections that had
previously been authorized by the ICANN Board. Policy staff will continue to
coordinate with him and will be sure to inform you when the Call for
Volunteers is issued and the implementation effort launched.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director