From: David Cake [mailto:dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 June 2014 09:24
To: Thomas Rickert
Cc: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [council] Re: [council] IGO/RCRC related excerpt from GAC
communequé

Yes, it is extremely problematic IMO.

For one, there is clearly an understanding from the GAC that:

- GAC advice is equivalent to policy. The phrase 'should not be subjected
to, or conditioned upon, a policy development process' implies that the GAC
thinks one sentence of advice constitutes policy.

- and that the GNSO PDP constitutes an attempt to develop competing policy,
rather than a process by which GAC advice is turned into implementable
policy.

I would also add that, as the WG PDP charter explicitly leaves open the
option that the existing curative mechanisms may not be adequate, item I. is
both uninformed and pointless.

Basically, I'm very disappointed, and angry as hell. We need to respond to
this as a council. And I am not inclined to be overly polite - this
demonstrates a very basic misunderstanding of not just the GNSO, but the
entire ICANN policy process.

Regards

David