Re: [council] Response to the call for Public Comment - ICANN Strategy Panels Draft Report

  • To: jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [council] Response to the call for Public Comment - ICANN Strategy Panels Draft Report
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 13:01:42 +0200
  • Cc: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for this excellent draft response. A few thoughts of my own:

You make it clear while addressing each of the recommendations that there are
indeed existing mechanisms in line with what the MSI panel has concluded
desirable. It seems you’re pointing out that the panel didn’t do a very good
job of analysing how the GNSO PDP actually works before setting out to suggest
“innovative” improvements, without actually saying it. This was a major problem
with this panel, and I feel it is worthwhile to bluntly make that clear. I say
this, not out of a desire to discredit the panel’s recommendations, but more as
part of the critical appraisal of the research methods it utilised. Beth Novek
was advised to explore the existing mechanisms by which the GNSO functions in
BA, but opted not to. Considering the similarities between the panel’s
recommendations and what actually takes place in the GNSO, had there been more
insight gained, I suspect there might have been some very useful
recommendations coming out of this panel. Perhaps something in the overarching
comment?

On “Use Expert Networks”: This is one recommendation I am actually in agreement
with (despite how the panel reached its conclusions). The GNSO does have a
great deal of expertise in its ranks, and participating in WGs. However, I
think there are areas in which more active outreach to experts in wouldn’t be
so bad, particularly concerning policies being developed by the GNSO that
conflict with certain privacy and data protection jurisdictions. To my
knowledge, we haven’t done such a good job at that so far. This is evident with
the data retention problem in the 2013 RAA, the “thick” WHOIS PDP’s inability
to address privacy and data protection concerns it was chartered to address, as
well as the EWG’s status update report reporting that more research on this
matter needs to be conducted. Let’s not be too dismissive of this
recommendation.

On “Impose Rotating Term Limits”: My understanding of this recommendation was
not that it was exclusive to the Council, but also for officers of the
different SGs and constituencies. I probably need to go back and check on this
again. However, if that is the case, I don’t appreciate the sentiment of
imposing anything on these groups. That’s rather extreme. The rules that govern
term limits in the SGs and constituencies is determined by their respective
charters/by-laws, and although subject to approval by the ICANN board of
directors (and SIC I think), they should not be imposed by anyone. I have a
problem with this recommendation in principle and wouldn’t mind making a point
of it.

Thanks again for taking this up, Jonathan.

Amr