[council] DATA RETENTION WAIVER OVH SAS

  • To: Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] DATA RETENTION WAIVER OVH SAS
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:58:11 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I had meant to send an email about this earlier, but then the U.S. gov decided
to steal the spotlight and attention (including mine) from most other issues. I
was curious about the process and circumstances regarding this announcement:

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-12mar14-en.htm

Last year, the EU's Article 29 Data Protection Working Party sent a letter to
ICANN
(http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/kohnstamm-to-crocker-chehade-06jun13-en),
 requesting waivers to EU-based registrars, but ICANN did not seem to respond
in agreement in their reply
(http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/jeffrey-to-kohnstamm-20sep13-en).

So what changed? Was the ICANN Procedure For Handling Conflicts with Privacy
Law used? Was it something else? I believe this is something worth taking
notice of, especially with the ongoing WHOIS activities?

I can’t seem to find any details? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Amr