[council] ICANN 2012 Nominating Committee Announces Selections

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] ICANN 2012 Nominating Committee Announces Selections
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:54:06 -0700
  • Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-30aug12-en.htm
ICANN 2012 Nominating Committee Announces Selections

The 2012 ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom) has completed its selections for
seven leadership positions within ICANN.

The NomCom Chair, Vanda Scartezini, said;

"It was a very interesting experience, especially the opportunity to work with
very qualified people and a staff that is always focused on making things work.
I thank them for their hard work. Due to the number of qualified candidates, we
had more face to face interviews than last year, demanding a full four days of
work interviewing each short-listed candidate before our retreat to make a
final decision. Even with the additional interviews we ended our selection task
timely and I am quite happy that the 2012 NomCom has selected the best
candidates for all positions in ICANN. Thank you to all the candidates for your
interest in volunteering to work with ICANN and I hope you will continue to
participate in this process."

The NomCom is charged with recruiting and selecting a portion of ICANN's
leadership. The NomCom is mandated to ensure that overall, ICANN's leadership
is diverse in geography, culture, skills, experience, and perspective. The
basic criteria is that selectees are people of integrity, objectivity and sound
judgment, can support decision-making within groups, can work effectively in
English, have an understanding of ICANN's mission and operation, are committed
to its success, experienced in world affairs, contribute to cultural,
professional and geographic expertise, and can work long and hard as volunteers
in the global public trust.

The NomCom evaluated 73 candidates, many of whom with exceptional
qualifications in relation to the key criteria as set out in the ICANN Bylaws.
With such a rich pool of candidates and very few seats to fill, the NomCom was
unable to appoint all the applicants the Committee members would have desired
to see on the Board and on the other ICANN bodies.

Selectees listed for each ICANN body, in alphabetical order by family name.

ICANN Board of Directors

Olga
Madruga-Forti<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-30aug12-en.htm#olga-madruga-forti>,
 Latin America/Caribbean

Gonzalo
Navarro<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-30aug12-en.htm#gonzalo-navarro>,
 Latin America/Caribbean

George
Sadowsky<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-30aug12-en.htm#george-sadowsky>,
 North America

ALAC

Alan
Greenberg<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-30aug12-en.htm#alan-greenberg>,
 North America

Jean-Jacques
Subrenat<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-30aug12-en.htm#jean-jacques-subrenat>,
 Europe

GNSO Council

Jennifer
Wolfe<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-30aug12-en.htm#jennifer-wolfe>,
 North America

ccNSO Council

Mary Wong<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-30aug12-en.htm#mary-wong>,
Asia/Pacific/Australia

These individuals will take up their positions after the end of ICANN's Annual
General Meeting in Toronto, Canada.

As noted above, this year's NomCom received 73 Statements of Interest from
candidates all over the world (14 female and 59 male), during its open
nomination period from 23 December 2011 to 16 April 2012. The regional
breakdown of this year's candidates is:

 *   7 from Africa
 *   15 from Asia/Australia/Pacific
 *   12 from Europe