[council] Consent agenda

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Consent agenda
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:33:38 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Councillors,

As indicated during our meeting last week, following its successful trial run,
I'd like to hone the consent agenda to a point where we have a formal process.

During last week's meeting, we discussed and agreed on a general 3-step process
for dealing with consent agenda items.

1. The Chair or meeting leader calls for any opposition to said item being in
the consent agenda. If any opposition is voiced, then that item is dropped from
the consent agenda (and can be re-introduced at any time in the main agenda).
2. If no opposition is voiced to the item being on the consent agenda, the
Chair or meeting leader calls for any opposition to the item itself. If any
opposition is voiced, then no action is taken (and the item can be
re-introduced at any time in the main agenda).
3. If no opposition, the consent agenda item is deemed approved by the GNSO
Council.

In order to formalize this process and with a view to including the consent
agenda in our rules and procedures, I have asked the SCI Chair Wolf-Ulrich
Knoben to have the SCI look at it and come up with some recommendations for the
Council to approve.

The SCI will obviously need to go beyond the basic format outlined above. In
particular, it may wish to look at items that may require exclusion from the
consent agenda (a motion vote is an obvious example), to serve as guideline for
the Council Chair and Leadership Team when a GNSO Council meeting agenda is
being drafted.

I do not think a complicated process is required, and I believe that the
consent agenda framework we established last week already works very well, but
I still think we would all appreciate the SCI's input.

Wolf, please let us know when you have put this before the SCI and when you
have an idea of the timeframe the group will need to provide the Council with a
recommendation.

Thanks,

Stéphane