[council] Update on WHOIS studies underway

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Update on WHOIS studies underway
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:11:50 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear all,

Later today I'll be posting some updates regarding the pending WHOIS studies
that I would like to bring to your attention.  The updates are being made on
this page:    http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/studies

Briefly, here are the changes being made:

*         WHOIS Misuse study -extending the projected completion of an initial
report from late 2012 to mid-2013.

*         WHOIS Privacy and Proxy Abuse study - extending the projected
completion of an initial report from late 2012 to early 2013.  We have not yet
publicly awarded this contract, but I expect to do by the end of the month.

*         WHOIS Privacy and Proxy Relay and Reveal Pre-study Survey --
extending the projected completion of an initial report from late 2011 to early
2012 (pre-Costa Rica).

There is no change being made to the WHOIS Registrant Identification Study at
this time.

I will not try to summarize here the various reasons for these modifications to
the projected deliverable dates, which are unique to each study, but I am happy
to provide greater detail at the Council's request.  The research teams are
working hard to assure that study results meet the parameters that have been
defined, and these modifications reflect that rigor. The changes to timeframes
will not have an impact on study funding.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like additional
information.

Best regards, Liz