RE: [council] Outreach Task Force Charter motion, (item 3 of our agenda on Thursday)

  • To: "Stéphane_Van_Gelder" <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Outreach Task Force Charter motion, (item 3 of our agenda on Thursday)
  • From: <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:53:35 -0700
  • Cc: "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stephane,

I would be happy to sponsor a motion derived from the report of the
Drafting Team, just not this motion.

When the BC asked for the motion to be deferred in Dakar, it was with
the intention to offer a friendly amendment.  When we went looking to do
that, we realized both the Councillors involved (and with whom we would
need to confer) were no longer on the scene.

Our confusion on the matter is what led to my initial email on this
matter.

The BC's concerns are based on its current position that "We prefer that
support provided is featured as support to the constituency/SG, rather
than centralized in permanent ICANN staff…"

The charter's call to "consolidate human and financial resources
relating to GNSO outreach" falls well short of recognizing the
importance of each constituencies' role on the front lines of expanding
this multi-stakeholder, consensus-driven, bottom-up organization. And
the charter also seems to mandate participation of groups (e.g., ALAC)
that are outside the scope of the Council's role.

Even if consolidation and central command-and-control are ultimately the
best way to go, we need to begin by knowing more than we do.  For that
reason, I would offer that we approve Objective 3 of the draft charter
at this time.  It will be hard to agree to do more until we have this
data in hand.  It reads:

Objective 3: The OTF shall conduct a survey of existing GNSO outreach
activities by the stakeholder
groups, constituencies, and ICANN, including the Fellowship program, to
identify:

1. Populations engaged in domain name system (DNS) issues but otherwise
underrepresented in
ICANN;

2. Individuals and organizations involved in related DNS/Internet
Governance organizations;

3. Industries and organizations (public, private, nonprofit, government
related, Internet Society
(ISOC) Chapters, attorneys and other professional associations) with an
interest in
DNS/Internet Governance;

4. People and organizations that may have submitted comments to ICANN,
but who are not
regularly engaged in a GNSO Working Group
;
5. People who were previously active within ICANN;

6. Universities that focus on studies and research related to DNS/
Internet Governance; and

7. Successful and pioneer projects that are happening now in some
regions.

Cheers,

Berard