[council] Framework of Interpretation Working Group - Interim Report
- To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] Framework of Interpretation Working Group - Interim Report
- From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:32:30 -0700
- Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
- Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AcyNfZvEQLDuWGTqSsGFYdW5g1AvlwAJRU8A
- Thread-topic: Framework of Interpretation Working Group - Interim Report
Framework of Interpretation Working Group - Interim Report
Comment Period Deadlines (*)
Important Information Links
12 October 2011
To Submit Your Comments (Forum)<mailto:foiwg-interim-report@xxxxxxxxx>
1 December 2011
View Comments Submitted<http://forum.icann.org/lists/foiwg-interim-report/>
Section I: Description, Explanation, and Purpose
The Framework of Interpretation Working Group (FOIWG) is seeking public comment
on Interim Report on the first topic it has addressed: obtaining and
documenting consent for delegation and re-delegation requests.
The Final Report of the Delegation Redelegation and Retirement Working Group
(DRDWG) identified the following issues with the topic of "consent":
"The Interpretation of consent (communication that the transfer is agreed), by
IANA's own admission, is highly variable depending on a number of factors
including culture and the immediate physical security of the ccTLD manager.
This includes interpreting a failure to reply to an IANA email as consent in
certain cases of re-delegations where the current manager has stated he does
not support the request."
The FOIWG identified the applicable polices and procedure statements and
analysed all past cases of ccTLD re-delegations researching the stated consent
in each instance. Based on this analysis the FOIWG identified the issues in the
context of the applicable policies. These issues were further analysed to
identify any issues arising from this analysis. Based on this analysis the
FOIWG developed draft recommendations.
To be most helpful input and feed-back from the community is sought with
respect to the following questions:
1. Is the approach used by the FOIWG satisfactory?
2. Is the documentation that was analyzed to identify issues comprehensive?
3. Do the issues identified by the FOIWG for this topic capture the major
problems associated with the topic? If not, what is missing?
4. Are the proposed guidelines effective solutions to the issues that were
5. Are the recommendations effective in addressing the concerns raised in
the final report of the DRDWG regarding this topic?
Section II: Background
The FOIWG was created by the ccNSO Council following the recommendations of the
Delegation and Re-delegation Working Group (DRDWG):
Recommendation 2: Delegation and re-delegation of ccTLDs
The DRDWG recommends that, as a first step, the ccNSO Council undertakes the
development of a "Framework of Interpretation" for the delegation and
re-delegation of ccTLDs. This framework should provide a clear guide to IANA
and the ICANN Board on interpretations of the current policies, guidelines and
procedures relating to the delegation and re-delegation of ccTLDs.
The results of the use of such a Framework of Interpretation should be formally
monitored and evaluated by the ccNSO Council after a pre-determined period. If
the results of this evaluation indicate that the Framework of Interpretation
failed to provide logical and predictable outcomes in ICANN decision making,
the ccNSO Council should then launch PDPs on the delegation and re-delegation
The charter of the FOIWG was adopted by the ccNSO Council at its meeting on 16
March 2011 and appointed as its chair Keith Davidson of .NZ (former Chair of
the DRDWG). In June 2011 the charter was updated to reflect the participation
of the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC). The charter and the list of
participants of the working group can be found at
The objective of the FOIWG is to develop and propose a "Framework of
Interpretation" for the delegation and re-delegation of ccTLDs. This framework
should provide a clear guide to IANA and the ICANN Board on interpretation of
the current policies and guidelines pertaining to the delegation and
redelegation of ccTLD's. The scope of the FOIWG also clearly specifies that:
· Any proposal to amend, update or change the Policy Statements is
outside the scope of the FOIWG.
· The IANA functions contract between the US Government and ICANN,
including any contract implementation issues or procedures relating to it, are
outside the scope of the FOIWG.
Section III: Document and Resource Links
Documents posted for comment:
The Interim Report is posted here:
Further information on the work of the Framework of Interpretation Working
Group is available at:http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/foiwg.htm.
Section IV: Additional Information
The Interim Report addresses the first of the following topics the FOIWG
identified which will be considered individually and in the order presented:
· Obtaining and documenting consent for delegation and re-delegation
· Obtaining and documenting support for delegation and re-delegation
requests from Significantly Interested Parties (sometimes referred to as Local
Internet Community or LIC).
· Developing recommendations for un-consented re-delegations
· Developing a comprehensive glossary of the terms used for the
delegation and re-delegation of ccTLDs.
· Developing recommendations for IANA reports on delegation and
Glen de Saint Géry