Re: [council] Response from ICANN Compliance re. RAP recommendations

  • To: "'marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx'" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, "'council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Response from ICANN Compliance re. RAP recommendations
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 04:58:51 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have to say that this is in my view a disappointing response from ICANN
compliance staff. Why is it only now after the process is complete and the
recommendations have been through extensive public comment periods, a final
report, a drafting team's final report and a couple of years, that we find out
icann compliance cannot or will not do some of the requested activities?

I believe public comment periods at a minimum should not only be for the
community to make comment, but MUST also be used by ICANN staff to make their
comments known. It cannot always be that icann staff waits until after
something gets completely through a process to reveal for the first time that
there is an issue. Too many people work too hard on these groups to do what
they believe is right and in the best interests of the community only to find
out after the entire process that ICANN staff does not want to do something or
cannot do something.

I realize this was not a PDP, but this issue was discussed by the PDP Work Team
and this type of feedback is explicitly called out.

I would like to hear from ICANN staff on the call tomorrow about what we can do
moving forward to get this feedback earlier in the process.

Thanks.
Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.